Fernando Torres can kick a ball about and is worth £50m, apparently.

40,000ha of England's forests, that's 40,000 football pitches, are worth £100m.

Are our values quite right?

A love of the natural world demonstrates that a person is a cultured inhabitant of planet Earth.

• trimbush - maybe this discussion sums up all our other ones!  Maybe we are both right.

The length of a pitch must be between 100 yards (90m) and 130 yards (120m) and the width not less than 50 yards (45m) and not more than 100 yards (90m). So, without counting that bit around the edge without which any play would be impossible, a large football pitch is bigger than a hectare but a small football pitch is about an acre.  A draw?

A love of the natural world demonstrates that a person is a cultured inhabitant of planet Earth.

• 'Grass Roots' football created Torres and Carrol and without it there would be no big teams. Same in conservation and forestry no one starts at the top without learning their trade at 'Grass Roots'. Take away the public forest and national nature reserve and you loose out on Minsmere and Grizedale FC.

• Absolutely not!  You are wrong!

A football pitch is about one acre - I've got a field named 'Restacre' - now that's a reasonable size - for football - I'd hate to play on the wing on your pitches!

Mark - you are really worrying me now - were you involved in the purchase of Hope Farm - because if you were - you'd better go back and check the deeds - you also said DEALS were of interest to you - take my advice - DON'T DO IT!1

You remind me of the American scientists who confused metric and imperial measurements and their Lunar Landing became the Mars probe!

• Voyager - I've stopped watching football too - that's why I am going to Nene Park to see Rushden and Diamonds play Cambridge tonight.  Very few silky skills will be on show.

• nightjar - spot on!  And a point that we have been making to government.  If only,as you know, FC had been keener on delivering that heathland themsleves then it wouldn't be such an up hill struggle now.