James Delingpole suggests potting a few of the most gorgeous (and protected) birds in the country.  And he has the RSPB in his line of fire too!

What do you think?

A love of the natural world demonstrates that a person is a cultured inhabitant of planet Earth.

• Sorry Carduus do not keep paper cuttings but lots of reported remains of Kestrels in Buzzards nests and I have no reason to disbelieve them and think a very good chance they are correct as being a cynical person I tend to question things.

Road kill,well It is the bird I see dead on the road most after hand reared Pheasants but in our area we have more Kestrels than we have ever had.As ever anything I say or almost anyone else says for that matter is very hard to provide evidence and I am always happy for other people to have a different opinion.Being called the motorway hawk must mean they live a dangerous life.

• Well bordercollie what a sly dig about work can almost guarantee if hours of work in our lifetime put side by side yours would look pretty shameful.Perhaps before decrying Brits in disgraceful fashion and insinuating we are comfortable with poisoning which is definitely not true you should go to Espana because if you don't you will find their brief touch of fame will be gone.We have plenty of heroes filling in the difficult areas in Afghanistan where Viva Espana troops keep to the safe areas,that to my mind is a better judgement than a couple of sporting wins.  

• Appologies for not keepig this blog rolling Sooty, but I was out last night & alas unlike you I suspect I still have work to go to. I see you're as resigned as Mark to infinate poisoning. Maybe its an attitude thing with the Brits. No it must be more than that. What ever it is, it wasn't an issue with the Wimbledon Champion, the Football World Cup Champions & the Raptor Protection Champions. Viva Espana. Adios.

• Sooty,

"in this country Buzzards are making a meal out of Kestrels"

"Lots of Kestrel remains have been found in Buzzard nest and that and road kill most likely for the decline."

Please can you substantiate these statements.

• Hi bordercollie suspect you are strictly correct but how you comment it perhaps comes over as if RSPB and the rest of us do not care that much.Think you would find that we all desperately wish that the culprits could be caught and punished but as Mark points out lots of different parts want RSPB to do more and only a certain amount of money to go round.Maybe even only the police can do the investigating.If only it were as easy as your comments make it sound but underneath I think you know how difficult it is to catch them and get a conviction that would hurt and the jails are so full it is unfortunately not going to happen.Assure you almost all of us feel as frustrated as you.