• Thoughts of a 30 Something: "PLEASE FORWARD ON...THE TIME IS NOW"

Blogger: Adam Murray, Communications Officer

Today, pretty much all RSPB staff from the Eastern region and a few volunteers came together to discuss what we will be doing for the next 8 years - until the big 2020! You may wonder what on earth this has got to do with you. Well, let me take it from the top and break it down into Adam-sized-chunks (for my poor brain to digest what happened).

Firstly, the loss on biodiversity…

• Shock at Osborne attack on environmental rules

Blogger: Rachael Murray, Media Officer

We were shocked to hear the chancellor’s attack on vital wildlife rules in his autumn statement.

The chancellor bemoaned the burden of ‘endless social and environmental goals’ on industry and described the Habitats Regulations as a ‘ridiculous cost on British business’, claiming that they amounted to ‘gold plating’ on European legislation. Defra is…

• Looking over the border by the Boy from Kent

Blogger: Adam Murray, Communication Officer

At the age of 11 I moved to Kent and was lucky enough to live in the Garden of England until I left for university to do zoology at the age of 18. Now that I live in beautiful East Anglia, like with all good conservation, it is good to see what your neighbours are doing. This latest story from my old stomping ground is worrying but good to see we have some great partners…

• The jigsaw puzzle of life

Blogger: Communications Officer Aggie Rothon

I am incredibly lucky to live where I do. If I leave my house in any direction I can always find myself surrounded by the magnificence of nature. So I’m not missing out, now that the nights are drawing in and I have had to reroute my after-work dog walk. These autumnal evenings we walk out through the shelter of the copse behind the house and out on to the open grassland beyond…

• Award winning golf course looks after its birdies

Now, I have to be honest, I’m not an avid golfer.  The idea of trying to bash a tiny, dimpled sphere into a hole that is just a few millimeters wider and located over miles of dunes, lakes and bunkers just doesn’t appeal.

However, on a visit to see my parents in Kent, I do look on in envy as huddles of tank top wearing men and women spend their day slowly perambulating…

• Are you a tree hugger?

Some of my best childhood memories involve trees. From my early days of getting grubby with bugs on trunks, to playing Robin Hood with my brother in the dell, to having two climbing trees in the field opposite  - one for me one for my brother (sadly my brother’s one got chopped down but mine still stands to this day).

Unlike some childhood fancies like jelly or skipping…

• The solution for increasing marine biodiversity

I have it, by George I have it. But then again no!

Going back to my previous post in July called "What do you do in the bath?" you would have met my Little Chief and his bath toys. I pondered over whether or not he will be able to see the amazing wonders of the sea when he is older.

So this is just the ramblings of a new father right? A new father who at the…

• How many Hoopoes?

Blogger: Jane Warren, Regional Development Officer

If the idea that there’s a bird called a hoopoe is strange enough, how about a giant hoopoe? Odd as it may seem, a giant hoopoe (Upupa antaios) has found its way to my house - by way of a print from the recent Ghosts of Gone Birds exhibition at the Rochelle School in London. All we know of this flightless bird’s existence is from a partial, fossilised skeleton…

• Frozen Planet

Blogger: Erica Howe, Communications Manager

I’ve got to mention it at some point haven’t I? It’s the tv show that’s captured mine and the nation’s heart. Every Wednesday night I sit glued to my sofa, adamant that I will digest every second of footage beamed to me via the glorious, big black box in the corner of my living room. Of course i’m talking about the BBC’s Frozen Planet series. …

• Paint the whole world with a Rainbow

Blogger: Kim Matthews, Campaigns Intern

Up above the streets and houses on this rather overcast Saturday, soared the steel and glass edifices of Canary Wharf.  It was my first visit to this part of London and I couldn’t help but see the beauty and grace in their engineering.  I was also struck with a sense of surrealism given that I had come to the heart of the financial district to meet an environmental campaigning…

• The silent voices of Sutton

Never have so many voices sounded so quiet. It was obvious right from the start; Sutton Fen is a place that isn’t used to people. The low brick buildings of Longmoor farm crouch on the edge of the fen at the bottom of a meandering, high-hedged lane. They look like they are sheltering from something, backs hunched in to the wind, heavy doors closed, cow sheds empty. The warden comes out to greet me, blinking from the daylight…

• Nature Poetry Competition set in Motion

Calling all budding poets! This week, we’ve begun a call for entries to our fabulous new national poetry competition!  We are running it in partnership with award-winning poetry publisher, The Rialto, and we are chuffed have none other than the incredible former Poet Laureate, Sir Andrew Motion, and prize-winning nature writer, Mark Cocker as judges!

But don’t let that put…

• 007 Licence to Save

Blogger: Laura White, PA to Regional Public Affairs Manager

Last Friday I heard our Chief Executive Mike Clarke speak passionately and movingly about our organisation, the organisation he has worked for and been associated with for most of his life. He spoke about the work we do. The threats to biodiversity and nature we as human beings face and what we as staff of the RSPB can and more importantly are doing to fight…

• Swamp Sparrow’s “Boston Belle Adventure”

Blogger: Jane Delaney, Local Groups and Volunteering Support Officer

The South Lincolnshire RSPB Local Group have been running their Wash Cruises onboard the “Boston Belle” for 8 years now and they continue to do so very successfully - selling out on all 15 cruises each taking 50 people in no time at all.

As “Local Groups and Volunteering Support Officer” I wanted to go along to see how they worked and…

• Rabbiting on about Birds

Blogger: Gena Correale-Wardle, Community Fundraising Officer

I am currently reading Watership Down by Richard Adams, a book that was first published nearly 40 years ago and which many of my peers remember as being a cult film when they were growing up. I, however, never saw the film or read the book when I was younger so it’s all new to me (please don’t spoil the ending!).

The book tells of the trials and…

• A penny for the guy and a thought for wildlife this Bonfire Night

We are urging everyone to remember, remember wildlife on the 5th November. As you gather logs for your bonfire, consider where you pile them so as not to give birds and other wildlife a nasty surprise. Holding firework displays near to trees and bushes is also big a no-no.   During the hours of darkness many birds will be roosting in trees and bushes, so we are warning that holding…

• Nature movement makes its first million

Blogger: Aggie Rothon, Communications Officer

A programme to rally the UK to help tackle the crisis facing nature has received overwhelming support, with people taking over one a million steps in just six months. Our Stepping up for Nature movement is one of the most ambitious nature conservation charity efforts in the world, and one step has been taken every 18 seconds since it started in March. We launched Stepping…