Blogger: Laura White, PA to Regional Public Affairs Manager

Last Friday I heard our Chief Executive Mike Clarke speak passionately and movingly about our organisation, the organisation he has worked for and been associated with for most of his life. He spoke about the work we do. The threats to biodiversity and nature we as human beings face and what we as staff of the RSPB can and more importantly are doing to fight for our most precious resource our planet.

During his talk Mike spoke about processes, ways of working and how we as an organisation must be fit for the challenges ahead. He spoke of the work our Board of Directors and Council are undertaking to support us in everything we do. Answering questions from the floor he responded to one delegates question by explaining that the board were working on a proposal a ‘licence to operate’ and this got me thinking.

In the news last night I watched a small item that announced to the world that the Bond franchise was back, filming had commenced on the latest movie ‘Skyfall’ following uncertainty over funding of the production company. Everybody knows James Bond and everybody knows he has a licence to kill. But what we need is a ‘licence to save’.

We can only do everything we plan to do because of the wonderful support from our members and volunteers. Together with them we are a million voices for nature and it is only because of them we can work so hard to save nature, but we need to do more and we have very little time to make a real difference. So I am asking that you add your voice to our voice. There are a million ways you can help and support us and with that help and support we can become an organisation with a licence to save and prevent the sky from falling in on us!