• Eastern Top of the Pops

Across the UK, over 600,000 people took part in this year's RSPB Big Garden Birdwatch, a record breaking number watching their garden birds.  In the East over 75,500 people counted their winged garden visitors during one hour over the weekend 29th and 30th January. Your counts revealed that some of the smaller birds that decreased in numbers last year, bounced back this year.  The top bird seen in the East was the starling…

• The Language of Love

Blogger: Adam Murray, Communications Officer

What a difference 3 months makes, just 2040 little hours. Before working for the RSPB, I was a lover of the natural world in all its glorious splendour and being WOWed by the smaller day to day things that pass us by. I would wake to the dawn chorus that would put a smile on my face, oblivious to what was actually making the orchestra of sound. I would be able to spot a blackbird…

• Look into the eyes not around the eyes

Blogger: Erica Howe, Communications Manager

How could you ever turn down these eyes? To some, they appear beady, marble-like in their attempt  to be as secretive as possible. Never giving anything away through fear of being found. To others, they expose an air of vulnerability. An infant-like feeling of helplessness. A colleague of mine thinks that their look is 'bewildered'. But to me, these eyes are much more than…

• Earth Hour Fiji Style

If you keep travelling East from our region and then down a bit you will find yourselves in the beautiful friendly isles of Fiji. This time last year I was working in Fiji running environmental campaigns across the Pacific. Yes, I know sounds a bit fancy but most of the time it was really hard graft. You're still not feeling sorry for me right? OK, there were some perks. At…

• Conservation Solutions both LARGE and small

Blogger: Rachael Murray, Media Assistant

Here at the RSPB we work on wildlife conservation on all scales, from people's back gardens all the way up to the dizzying heights of our large landscape work. Following the launch of 'Stepping Up for Nature', our most ambitious campaign to date, here in the east we would like to announce a groundbreaking landscape scale conservation project in the Fens.

The new RSPB…

• Do you know a Farmer?

Blogger: Rachael Murray, Media Assistant

The race is on to get entries in for this year's RSPB Telegraph Nature of Farming Award with applications being accepted until Saturday 30 April.

The award aims to find the UK's most wildlife friendly farmer who has put in the most work on their land to help threatened countryside species. It's run by the RSPB, supported by Butterfly Conservation and Plantlife, and sponsored…

• Wanderings abroad

Having just returned from a once in a lifetime holiday to New Zealand and Borneo, it’s fair to say, i’m a little bit glum. Holiday blues have set in and I wish I was back there, amongst the mountains of New Zealand, the fresh air, the breath-taking scenery and last but not least, the wildlife. My highlight of two weeks in New Zealand was, without hesitation or doubt, the albatross…
  • A11 decision is wildlife friendly

The RSPB today welcomes the decision by the Secretaries of State for Transport and Communities and Local Government to proceed with the dualling of the A11 between the Fiveways roundabout in Suffolk and the southern roundabout of the Thetford bypass in Norfolk.

The decision reflects a positive outcome for the region's internationally important wildlife in the Brecks and the…

• Knowing your Robins

Blogger: Aggie Rothon, Communications Officer

Give me a nightingale's voice on a balmy, scented evening or the trembling notes of a mistle thrush in full song. Give me the smoky romance of a curlew calling on a mist filled morning or the echoing sob of a buzzard skimming the watery sky above. I would revel in them all, but would miss the call of a robin the most.

To me the robin's is the sweetest of all songs…

• Big Green Hats and Sessile Oaks

I was always amazed in my last job how the folks in the US are just as patriotic about St Patricks Day as they are about Independance Day or Thanks Giving. I have to admit, being a Murray I can't help but be proud today that my Great great grandaddy came from Ireland - tenuous link number one! So everyone, whether you are off to the pub tonight, having a guiness and steak…

• Time for a sing song

Blogger: Murray Brown, RSPB Volunteer Project Coordinator 

On St Patrick's Day when you have an urge to celebrate you can join the wild life down at Verulamium Park. During sunny periods, many of the park's resident birds are now in full song.  A telescope is often trained on the top of a tall tree near the RSPB's exhibition trailer to show visitors a mistle thrush which frequently sings from this high vantage…

• Blue Skies and Barbeques

Blogger: Emily Field, Volunteer & Farmer Alliance Project Officer (Bird Survey Data & Advice)

You might think I'm bonkers when you look at the weather forecast for the week ahead (max 6c and scattered showers) but as far as I'm concerned it's official, blue skies and barbeques are on their way. How do I know this? Our swifts, the heralds of warmer weather are already half way on their epic 14000 mile flight home…

• Step Up - the time is NOW!

Good afternoon! I hope that this post finds you full of the joys of Spring. The blue tits are nest prospecting, the spring bulbs are coming alive and those thermal gloves are getting that little bit too warm to wear.
    But if you happened to have got out of the wrong side of bed this morning, maybe a trip to the local shop’s penny sweet trays, the taste of a cola bottle or the smell of a freshly opened packet of parma violets…
  • Your local community needs you

Blogger: Matt Howard, Community Collection Scheme Officer

I only started working at the RSPB last July. It is a privilege to work for the Society that I have been a member of for years.  What struck me most in the first months is just how vital the 'team ethic' is. Admittedly the job I do in Community Fundraising (mostly behind a desk in the Norwich office) isn't as glamorous as tracking the movements of tigers in the…

• RSPB’s St Albans Date With Nature hits ‘the Big 50’!

Blogger: Murray Brown, RSPB Volunteer Project Coordinator 

It's been another very busy few days for RSPB volunteers and staff at Verulamium Park.  With daily visitor numbers regularly hitting the 300 mark, there's been little time to relax and enjoy the emergence of spring around the lake.

One pair of Herons is certainly stealing the limelight as they are so obviously besotted with each other!  There is quite…

• Worms are not just for the Eighties

Blogger: Adam Murray, Communication Officer

Are you a book worm or just fancy getting you, your kids or grandchildren out from in front of the TV or their way to fancy looking computer console (I am of the ZX Spectrum era)?

Well as it is WORLD BOOK DAY now is a perfect opportunity. What better way than finding your local bookshop (mine is The Book Hive in Norwich) and hunting down the lesser spotted "Wild things to do…

• The Days of Narcissus

Happy St David's Day to one and all. I have a real affinity with Wales as I lived in Cardiff between the ages of five and six. At this age it was that perfect time when my affinity to the natural world began. Memories are intoxicating of heady days of building bird nests with grass clipping (big enough for my younger brother), fishing for sticklebacks in the stream behind…