• The best kind of wildness

Author: Bryony Tuijl. This piece was originally published in the Eastern Daily Press.

We’re climbing higher and higher. I can’t see out of the windows and I’m not sure I want to. Over the noise of the engine I can see the instructors motioning to each other and we all begin to shuffle forward slowly. Before I know it I’m sat in the open doorway of the plane, my body leant forward. We’re thirty thousand feet in the air…

• Mud, glorious mud

Author: Carrie Carey. This blog post originally appeared as a feature in the Eastern Daily Press Weekend magazine on 25 February 2017.

I recently took the grandchildren to a local farm park and despite the enticement of tractor rides and sheep racing, they wanted to stay by the pig pen where a family of hogs were enjoying a very messy mud bath. My youngest granddaughter looked at me knowing and said “They’re really happy…

• Pear trees not just for partridges

Blogger: Adam Murray, Communication Officer

You may find yourself humming the classic Christmas line about a partridge in a pear tree this festive season, but pear trees can be a great gift for all sorts of other wildlife too.

We are encouraging people to think about planting pear trees now, to benefit birds and other garden wildlife in the future.

At the time when most of us are thinking about all the chocolates…

• A partridge in a pear tree

Blogger: Rachael Murray, Communications Officer

The Twelve Days of Christmas is a song that echoes throughout the UK during the festive period, and whilst we all get a bit confused about how many drummers are drumming, maids are a-milking and geese are a-laying, everyone is clear on the star of the show - a partridge in a pear tree.  

On Christmas Day it seems fitting to explore the origin of the final true love's gift…

• Dove stepping up for nature

Bloggers: Jonny Rankin & Tristan Reid

Editors note: I love a story about wildlife heroes, and this one is up there as one of my favourites.  Read on to hear how four wildlife heroes are upping their game for nature!

Here's Jonny

Some RSPB members may have noticed the following mention in this weeks news on the RSPB website; Concerned bird lovers have stepped up to help out Operation Turtle Dove.  A group of…

• Great Yarmouth Air Show: Our position

Author: Jeff Knott, RSPB in the East's Regional Director

Back in January, Theresa May launched Defra’s long-awaited 25 year environment plan. A plan slathered in promises to secure a generational turn around in the fortunes of our natural world. One key idea was to create a ‘world-leading environmental watchdog’ to ensure the interests of our environment had a strong voice in decision making.

• What to feed your garden birds

It's here! The time is upon us. You can now sign up here for Big Garden Birdwatch 2018. Whilst the event itself might be over a month away, this leaves plenty of time to start prepping. So get outside, clean up the bird table and fill up your feeders. Just make sure you follow our dos and don'ts for feeding garden birds:

DO feed your garden birds:

Mealworms - dried or alive, both are enjoyed by insect-eaters…

• Winter Walks Series: North Warren and Dingle Marshes

If you're looking for a day out along the beautiful Suffolk coast with a variety of routes to choose from then why not visit RSPB North Warren. Or if you're after a more remote and challenging walk then nearby Dingle Marshes is perfect for you.

RSPB North Warren  

Near the picturesque coastal town of Aldeburgh, here you can stroll around the beautiful coastal wetlands, woodland and heathland, as well as the variety…

• Pied wagtail wonder

I’ve had a rather entertaining fortnight. Autumn Watch may be over for another year, but something equally addictive has managed to catch my attention recently.  Every time I head out in the crisp winter air for a stroll or I layer up my jumpers, coat and scarf to walk to work, I am followed by a new-found friend. It isn’t guaranteed where i’ll bump into him, but I can assure you that at some point during my journey…
  • The migrant birds illegally shot in Malta

Blog by Tara Proud, RSPB Species Recovery Officer

Each spring thousands of migrant birds cross Malta on their way to breeding grounds in Europe, and some of them even choose the UK as their summer home. In Malta, hunting birds is a cultural tradition, and although there are laws in place to govern when shooting can be carried out, a huge amount of protected birds are illegally killed.

Our partners at BirdLife Malta are…

• Top 5 wild things to find this autumn

Spooky spiders 

Head out into the garden first thing in the morning and witness these eight-legged creatures weave glistening dew-dropping webs.

Fabulous fungi 

Look out for mushrooms and toadstools in enchanted forests. If you’re very quiet you might see fairies resting there. Look, don’t touch! Use our fungi-finder bingo sheet to help you spot an amazing array of fungi.

Bursting berries 

Admire the…

• One Little Box - saving UK wildlife one quid at a time

Blogger: Gena Correale-Wardle, Senior Community Fundraiser

Have you seen our RSPB pin badge boxes in your local area? The little green boxes perch on counters in garden centres, coffee shops, hotels and pubs, proudly displaying their lovely enamel wares. For the suggested donation of £1 you can be the proud owner of one of over 50 current badge designs from tawny owl to killer whales.

These fabulous little badges…

• Getting Dirty and Creative #OperationWildTimes

Blogger: Adam Murray, Communications Officer

If I had been lead to believe what I was told at school and that all I could have a job in conservation was as a scuba diving marine biologist or jungle living monkey lover (tried a bit of both – leeches and seasickness scuppered both) then I would have given up ages ago. I am a font geek/brand checking/queue watching/pop-up cafe loving conservationist. Not only that but at…

• Pond Life: A whole world of wildlife exists beneath the surface of a pond

This blog post originally appeared as an article in the Eastern Daily Press weekend magazine.

By Vicky Boorman

Pond dipping at Strumpshaw Fen

We had such a brilliant time the other day, pond dipping at our local RSPB nature reserve, Strumpshaw Fen just outside Norwich. Who knew that ponds were so full of life! We borrowed nets from the reserve and my children loved scooping them through the water, then pulling them…

• Spiderman vs. Batman

Blogger: Adam Murray, Communications Officer

Have you watched the new Batman and Spiderman movies? Were you dragged along by your other half or are you a secret comic book superhero fan?

This started off a debate in our office over who is best between these two masked crusaders. Spiderman had it easy being bitten by a radioactive spider giving him super cool powers. Whereas, Batman equally had it easy as he is a…

• Ramblings of a Natural Family Man

Blogger: Adam Murray, Communications Officer (Marketing & Brand)

This is a little view into my world, it is my own personal experience of my natural family man's way of life. It may not be the norm but may resonate with some of you. If it does then please forward this on to your friends. Thanks and enjoy relaxing days.

The Natural Family Man

i-phone in hand

his and hers converse trainers

fat face gilet…

• Christmas shopping worth while

With more and more people filling the shops to rush out for a last-minute Christmas pressie (or if you’re anything like me, you won’t have even started) I do often wonder about all the millions of pounds that we spend each year on gifts for our loved ones, friends and family. In a time of such financial hardship, it always amazes me how generous people are at this time of year and how much time, effort…
  • #ShowtheLove for turtle doves

Author: Emily Kench

Deep in the heart of the East Anglian countryside, a loving purr whistles through a hedgerow. Amongst tight-knit leaves, one set of orange eyes burning with love, stares into the eyes of another. After a long and testing journey this male turtle dove has found his love: his one and only, his mate for life.

He has traveled 11,000 km from his wintering grounds in West Africa to find her, and the journey…

• Do you prefer sweet or savoury?

Blogger: Aggie Rothon, Communications Officer

The running joke in my household at the moment is that whatever film any one suggests watching my response will always be, ‘hmmmm, I don’t do war/romcom/sci-fi films.’ My comeback quip is always ’but I like characters and contemplation not fights and action!’ Whatever my argument however I have to admit that I can quickly lose interest in any film that doesn’t grab me in…

• Pink-footed teamwork

Author: Carrie Carey

Over a thousand miles to the north of Britain lies a sparsely populated island in the north Atlantic Ocean. Forged from the Ice Age, the landscape is a mixture of jagged ravines, hot springs and roaring rivers. Glacial ridges contrast with black volcanic beaches and at first sight this formidable terrain might seem to have little to offer wildlife, but here amongst Iceland’s highlands and lowlands…

• Soaring spirits, but a stark reminder

RSPB images
    It was a gloomy day in November and I was running a tedious errand that took me towards the Norfolk coast. Driving along, I wondered if I would see any pink-footed geese munching on the harvested sugar beet tops. ‘That would brighten my journey’, I thought to myself, ‘otherwise I really will have to eat the whole of that family sized chocolate bar calling my name from the passenger seat’. …
  • Winter Walks Series: North Norfolk Coast

The North Norfolk coast comes alive with thousands of wildfowl throughout the winter months, bringing with it numerous wildlife spectacles. Titchwell Marsh and nearby Snettisham are ideal locations for a wintery walk surrounded by this wonderful wildlife.

RSPB Titchwell Marsh:

During the winter months, thousands of ducks and geese will winter in North Norfolk, including teal, wigeon, gadwall, shoveler, pintails and…

• From our gardens to our farms - Giving nature a Home in the East

With 70% of the UK farmed, farmland is of pivotal importance for our wildlife and we need wildlife friendly farmers to give nature a home, Nicholas tells us how he runs a successful farm business whilst providing important habitats for birds, insects and flowers.

As I sat down with my wife, Anne, for supper last Saturday, I realised what a special day I’d had. I had been out checking Tree Sparrow nest boxes with my…

• Think squirrels, think nuts.

Headlines, tweets and status updates. Forty-five characters to tell everyone what's on your mind. For someone that is a fan of a nice quote, like me, nothing can be more addictive. This particular quote, from my friend Tom's facebook page made me laugh, even though I think he may well have borrowed it from David Brent. It read, "What does a squirrel do in summer? It buries nuts. Why? So that in winter he's got something…

• The ups and downs of life in the wild on Suffolk’s only island

This blog post originally appeared as an article in the East Anglian Daily Times Environment supplement, sponsored by Anglian Water.

The iconic wildlife of Suffolk's only island

Havergate Island is famed not only as Suffolk’s only island but for its near mythical role in the history of some of the county’s- and the country’s- most iconic wildlife. Not least amongst these is the long-standing emblem of the RSPB…