• Look into the eyes not around the eyes

Blogger: Erica Howe, Communications Manager

How could you ever turn down these eyes? To some, they appear beady, marble-like in their attempt  to be as secretive as possible. Never giving anything away through fear of being found. To others, they expose an air of vulnerability. An infant-like feeling of helplessness. A colleague of mine thinks that their look is 'bewildered'. But to me, these eyes are much more than…

• The Language of Love

Blogger: Adam Murray, Communications Officer

What a difference 3 months makes, just 2040 little hours. Before working for the RSPB, I was a lover of the natural world in all its glorious splendour and being WOWed by the smaller day to day things that pass us by. I would wake to the dawn chorus that would put a smile on my face, oblivious to what was actually making the orchestra of sound. I would be able to spot a blackbird…

• Eastern Top of the Pops

Across the UK, over 600,000 people took part in this year's RSPB Big Garden Birdwatch, a record breaking number watching their garden birds.  In the East over 75,500 people counted their winged garden visitors during one hour over the weekend 29th and 30th January. Your counts revealed that some of the smaller birds that decreased in numbers last year, bounced back this year.  The top bird seen in the East was the starling…

• Eggs-pectant Mother

Blogger: Rachael Murray, Media Assistant

A local resident in Suffolk had an early Easter surprise this week after discovering a rather unusual egg in her back garden.  Avril Sciocco, from Sudbury, was taking advantage of the sunny spring weather to hang out her washing, when she spotted a glinting article coming from her former vegetable patch, now the stony bottom of the garden. 

Avril describes: "I wanted to make sure…

• If you go down to Verulamium Park today you're sure of a big surprise...

Blogger:  Murray Brown, RSPB Volunteer Project Coordinator 

The RSPB's St Albans 'Date With Nature' got off to a flying start last weekend.  The project aims to show people the nesting grey herons on the island in the lake and some of the other wildlife that calls the park home.  Despite the weather being somewhat "British" on Saturday, RSPB volunteers and staff were out there with a throng of nearly 100 visitors…

• Ouse News pt2

Blogger: Jon Reeves, Site Manager for the Ouse Washes

The ideal conditions on the Ouse Washes last week, which resulted in fantastic birding opportunities, are now a memory. High tides coupled with rainfall in the catchment area has resulted in a rising flood which is now bank to bank and making bird watching more of a challenge. Farmland birds  can be viewed from the visitor centre are continuing to delight, with often…

• Something for the Weekend: Free as a Bird

Blogger: Helen Leach, Receptionist (Eastern Regional Office).

Every week I pop along to my yoga class hoping to relieve myself of life’s stresses and achieve that, sometimes seemingly elusive, state of total relaxation and connect with myself again.

Last week the class started as normal talking about our focus for the session and then after over an hour of bending, twisting and inverting my body into what looked…
  • Spring is Coming

Blogger: Aggie Rothon, Communications Officer

There's always something going on at home. Always someone driving up the long track and parking up in the courtyard to drop something off, pick something up, walk a dog or return home. We hang out of car windows and tractor cabs to shout hello's to one another or stop to banter about recent goings on. Is your car fixed now? What do you think of this rain? The red deer were…

• Surprise Encounters of the Gold Kind

Blogger: Kim Matthews, Membership Development Officer 

Am I the only one that deletes, unopened, their LoveFilm "Your next rental is on its way..." email?  Quite probably, but the reason behind this small symptom of madness is that I like the surprise when I open the envelope.

When it comes to wildlife encounters I feel the same way. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy visiting my nearby reserves where I am almost…

• The Days of Narcissus

Happy St David's Day to one and all. I have a real affinity with Wales as I lived in Cardiff between the ages of five and six. At this age it was that perfect time when my affinity to the natural world began. Memories are intoxicating of heady days of building bird nests with grass clipping (big enough for my younger brother), fishing for sticklebacks in the stream behind…

• Worms are not just for the Eighties

Blogger: Adam Murray, Communication Officer

Are you a book worm or just fancy getting you, your kids or grandchildren out from in front of the TV or their way to fancy looking computer console (I am of the ZX Spectrum era)?

Well as it is WORLD BOOK DAY now is a perfect opportunity. What better way than finding your local bookshop (mine is The Book Hive in Norwich) and hunting down the lesser spotted "Wild things to do…

• RSPB’s St Albans Date With Nature hits ‘the Big 50’!

Blogger: Murray Brown, RSPB Volunteer Project Coordinator 

It's been another very busy few days for RSPB volunteers and staff at Verulamium Park.  With daily visitor numbers regularly hitting the 300 mark, there's been little time to relax and enjoy the emergence of spring around the lake.

One pair of Herons is certainly stealing the limelight as they are so obviously besotted with each other!  There is quite…

• Your local community needs you

Blogger: Matt Howard, Community Collection Scheme Officer

I only started working at the RSPB last July. It is a privilege to work for the Society that I have been a member of for years.  What struck me most in the first months is just how vital the 'team ethic' is. Admittedly the job I do in Community Fundraising (mostly behind a desk in the Norwich office) isn't as glamorous as tracking the movements of tigers in the…

• Step Up - the time is NOW!

Good afternoon! I hope that this post finds you full of the joys of Spring. The blue tits are nest prospecting, the spring bulbs are coming alive and those thermal gloves are getting that little bit too warm to wear.
    But if you happened to have got out of the wrong side of bed this morning, maybe a trip to the local shop’s penny sweet trays, the taste of a cola bottle or the smell of a freshly opened packet of parma violets…
  • Blue Skies and Barbeques

Blogger: Emily Field, Volunteer & Farmer Alliance Project Officer (Bird Survey Data & Advice)

You might think I'm bonkers when you look at the weather forecast for the week ahead (max 6c and scattered showers) but as far as I'm concerned it's official, blue skies and barbeques are on their way. How do I know this? Our swifts, the heralds of warmer weather are already half way on their epic 14000 mile flight home…

• Time for a sing song

Blogger: Murray Brown, RSPB Volunteer Project Coordinator 

On St Patrick's Day when you have an urge to celebrate you can join the wild life down at Verulamium Park. During sunny periods, many of the park's resident birds are now in full song.  A telescope is often trained on the top of a tall tree near the RSPB's exhibition trailer to show visitors a mistle thrush which frequently sings from this high vantage…

• Big Green Hats and Sessile Oaks

I was always amazed in my last job how the folks in the US are just as patriotic about St Patricks Day as they are about Independance Day or Thanks Giving. I have to admit, being a Murray I can't help but be proud today that my Great great grandaddy came from Ireland - tenuous link number one! So everyone, whether you are off to the pub tonight, having a guiness and steak…

• The call of the wild

Oystercatcher image copyright Liz Cutting, www.lizcuttingphotos.com
    Much like whistling, touching my toes with my legs straight and rolling my tongue I have never been able to master accents. My Irish accent sounds much like my Scottish whilst my Yorkshire sounds very similar to my west country. It came as quite a shock to me therefore to realise that I am actually pretty good at mimicking bird calls. I remember realising…
  • Rocking robin knocked off the top spot!

Some things about Christmas are certain, aren’t they? I will put on a few extra pounds, I will have to fake happy on opening a random gift and dozens of robins will come fluttering through my letterbox making me feel guilty that I haven’t remembered to post my Christmas cards.  
    Well maybe things will be different this year. The robin has been knocked off its top spot as the bird most likely to feature on the…
  • Don't mind if I do...

I wanted to work for a big organisation that had get-up and go, I wanted to work for someone progressive that cared for the environment. It was the organisation I’ve waited my whole life to work for.
    All these are reasons why the colleagues sitting around me decided to apply for the jobs they are now enjoying at the RSPB.
    Do you want to know you work to make a difference too?  
    Click here for your opportunity…
  • Shrugging off those January Blues

In the first days of a new year it's hard to avoid cliché or the routine. The New Year lull. I always feel it, that slow, readjustment back to the workaday. It's also the time for the release of a seemingly endless stream of weight loss DVDs, all manner of self-help books and whatever else can be target-marketed to tell us what lifestyle we should be aspiring to. This year there's a VAT increase and the Prime Minister…

• Look Up!

They flew like a stream of black bullets, shadowed against the darkening silver sky. Just as the sea-tide is pulled to and fro by the moon, the starlings swayed and curved above me. Thousands of them, each bird a separate etching in a charcoal coloured cloud of wings. As my car drew away from the traffic lights, smaller troops of starlings hurtled towards the main group. They appeared from no where, behind trees, over…

• Supplies for the Winter

When you are looking at your feathery visitors to your garden enjoying there fat balls have ever wondered how your local friendly RSPB staff get through the winter as well? Well, for the Public Affairs team in the Norwich office the fat balls equivalent are donuts and cookies. At least this is the case for our monthly office meeting where we discuss all things public affairs like, such as our pin badge scheme, volunteers…

• RSPB office goes wild for the day

More often than not, when I tell people that I work for the RSPB, their response is ‘Wow – that must be a great place to work’ or ‘Blimey, that’s a cool job’. And do you know what, they're absolutely right. On a weekly basis the work of a Communications Officer looks a little bit like this; 30 cups of tea, 3 press releases drafted and sent out, 3 radio interviews given, 8 meetings attended, 1 proper lunch break, 5 blogs…
  • Let's Make Badgers Count!

It comes as no surprise to me that the recent results of the RSPB’s Make You Nature Count survey showed that badgers were the least spotted mammal in gardens across the east. They are a secretive lot it seems, their general demeanour never described more eloquently than by Kenneth Grahame in his masterful novel, The Wind in the Willows; ‘The Mole had long wanted to make the acquaintance of the Badger. He seemed, by all…