Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

large flock of gold finchs

Hi it has just started to snow here and a large flock of goldfinchs has just landed in the tree there must be about 50 of them, my feeder are full up with goldfinchs, with loads waitingfor they turn!

Hey farmer, farmer, put away the D.D.T now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please!

• Squirrel B said:

Hi Brenda, I also get all three but the goldies and greenfinches only drop by when they feel like it. Only the chaffinches are daily visitors - and I don't know why I put chaffinches in the plural as my dearly beloved Mrs C is still AWOL (sob). And Mr C, who last year started singing and calling in January and didn't stop until November, again started in January this year and stopped a week later. I haven't heard a peep out of him since. He just sits in the silver birch looking lonely........

Thats so sad Squirrel,

I wish I could send you some of mine, they are here every day as are the goldies and chaffinches and greenfinches.

Hey farmer, farmer, put away the D.D.T now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please!

• Hi Squirrel, I don't know why but we do get them in good numbers. I will try and count them tomorrow. The green finches can be a problem as they are the bossy ones and the chaffinches and goldfinches sit on the fence or tree, waiting for them to finish. We have got feeders in the back and front gardens trying to give them an option but the various tits also suffer as they have to wait.  The chaffinches will eat off the ground with the blackbirds but they do all seem to eat eventually.  Hope Mrs C returns soon. She could be playing 'hard to get'. My wren, who had started living in the porch, has not been seen for a couple of weeks, so I think it must have died,

• Squirrel B said:
    And Mr C, who last year started singing and calling in January and didn't stop until November, again started in January this year and stopped a week later. I haven't heard a peep out of him since. He just sits in the silver birch looking lonely........

Squirrel, that is so sad. I hope he finds another lady friend soon. I have a collared dove who seems to have lost his mate, and they pair for life. He sits in the tree with another pair, like a gooseberry whilst they canoodle, then they leave him on his own when they come down to feed, then later he comes down on his own to feed and then sits alone on the shed roof, so sad and lonely.

I can't keep up with Janet ... but I did have 3 redpolls arrive with my goldies a couple of weeks ago, and I can now count my Waggie as a regular.

Cheers, Linda.

See my photos on Flickr

• Ok Janet, that is all I needed to hear. THREE wagtails. I shall cry now. You must talk to Squirrel about Wagtails.

• Susan H said:
    I can't keep up with Janet ... but I did have 3 redpolls arrive with my goldies a couple of weeks ago, and I can now count my Waggie as a regular.

Ok ya got me on the redpolls, I ani't seen any of them! :-)

• Unknown said:

Ok Janet, that is all I needed to hear. THREE wagtails. I shall cry now. You must talk to Squirrel about Wagtails.

the first two I have are fine together, they may be a pair, the the other one must be another male as it is chased off by the first one.

So you can share this one till he finds his own mate. :-)

• Oh Brenda, please don't cry. You have so many finches.

Janet D said:
    Ok ya got me on the redpolls, I ani't seen any of them!

ler - ler - la - ler - la!!!!

Cheers, Linda.

See my photos on Flickr

• Susan H said:
    ler - ler - la - ler - la!!!!

Ah but I also got three GSP ( Great Spotted Woodpeckers)  :-P

• Wow!  That's a lot of goldfinches, Janet.  The most I've ever had was four.  Sadly not for a while tough.  You couldn't spare us a couple? ;-)

Paul.

Warning!  This post contains atrocious spelling, and terrible grammar.  Approach with extreme edginess.