Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

large flock of gold finchs

Hi it has just started to snow here and a large flock of goldfinchs has just landed in the tree there must be about 50 of them, my feeder are full up with goldfinchs, with loads waitingfor they turn!

Hey farmer, farmer, put away the D.D.T now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please!

• Lovely to see them all Janet. You are going to be busy refilling all those feeders after they have all been eating.

• I enjoy filling them up and cleaning them, my hubby has to get them down for me, I don't do ladders. lol

takes about an hour or so, only do it every two days depending on how fast it all goes.

Hey farmer, farmer, put away the D.D.T now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please!

• Hi Janet, I'm so glad you get Goldfinches, especially as you've gone to so much effort with ALL your feeders.  In fact if it was me, I'd be pretty miffed if I didn't.   You are lucky to get so many.  I can't really blame Buzzard for my lack of Goldfinches to be honest, I get visited by a few twice a year as they pass through and it really gets my goat that I can't get them to stay.  I get Chaffs and Greenfinches by the bucket load but alas not the Goldies.

• Unknown said:
    I get Chaffs and Greenfinches by the bucket load but alas not the Goldies.

Isn't it odd why some species chose one garden and their cousins chose another!

I have all my goldies with me most of the day, but no greenfinches or chaffs, even though they are in the vicinity. All finches, similar likes and dislikes, often flock together. Weird.

Cheers, Linda.

See my photos on Flickr

• Sparrow,  May I just brag for a moment. We have all three !!  But then I have no wagtails of any description. Never did make that select society.

• Thanks for the Link Janet have just ordered

• Hi Brenda, I also get all three but the goldies and greenfinches only drop by when they feel like it. Only the chaffinches are daily visitors - and I don't know why I put chaffinches in the plural as my dearly beloved Mrs C is still AWOL (sob). And Mr C, who last year started singing and calling in January and didn't stop until November, again started in January this year and stopped a week later. I haven't heard a peep out of him since. He just sits in the silver birch looking lonely........

The necessity of bird-watching is a really good reason for avoiding all forms of housework.

The dust will still be there tomorrow - the birds may not be!

• Unknown said:

Sparrow,  May I just brag for a moment. We have all three !!  But then I have no wagtails of any description. Never did make that select society.

lovely Brenda H

I get lots of all three, plus I now get three wagtails, I have had one for a lone time, then he brought a friend then another male turn up.

I have my chaffinchs, tits and goldfinchs all the time, and greenfinchs.

• Susan said:

Thanks for the Link Janet have just ordered

no worries. :-)

• You are so lucky to get all three Brenda and Squirrel.  Feel sorry for Mr C though.  Poor poppet.  I get about 50 Chaffinches in the garden.  In fact they are my most common bird second to the Blue Tit.  It used to be the Collard Doves but since the new bird table with far reaching roof, they've lessened in numbers.   My Greenfinches number about 10 or so and have ONLY just started to come back to the garden.

Alas I have no Waggies other than that brief visit during the snow.

I agree with Sparrow, it's pretty weird that some gardens in different areas attract moe or less of the same bird no matter how hard you try.   I don't think it can be blamed on them not being much in the area as I know the Goldies most definitely are around here.