Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

large flock of gold finchs

Hi it has just started to snow here and a large flock of goldfinchs has just landed in the tree there must be about 50 of them, my feeder are full up with goldfinchs, with loads waitingfor they turn!

Hey farmer, farmer, put away the D.D.T now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please!

• Heron77 said:

Wow!  That's a lot of goldfinches, Janet.  The most I've ever had was four.  Sadly not for a while tough.  You couldn't spare us a couple? ;-)

Paul.

I always have a few here but that was the biggest flock I have had in my garden at one time. sorry but I'm told they are just stopping for a snack while on they way to Bizzard house!! :-)

Hey farmer, farmer, put away the D.D.T now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please!

• Oh I can't even compete in this thread!

*gets coat and leaves*

I had two Greenfinches for 10 minutes on saturday though lol.  I've never been able to make finches stick around here, Chaffinches come by every now and again (maybe 3 times a year if I'm lucky) and thats usually around 4.  Goldfinches were becoming regulars last year and I was up to 4 and they just dwindled down and the Greenfinches well they show up less often than my Goldcrest who comes for a few weeks a year!

• I just love the way you quietly slid the Goldcrest in there!!!!! You get a GOLDCREST - boy am I jealous. I have never seen either a Goldcrest or Firecrest. Some woods not far from me are supposed to have lots of Firecrest visitors in autumn but I haven't managed to see one yet. In fact, the only avian wildlife I have seen there was a carrion crow and that was lurking around the outside eating area.

The necessity of bird-watching is a really good reason for avoiding all forms of housework.

The dust will still be there tomorrow - the birds may not be!

• Squirrel B said:

I just love the way you quietly slid the Goldcrest in there!!!!! You get a GOLDCREST - boy am I jealous. I have never seen either a Goldcrest or Firecrest. Some woods not far from me are supposed to have lots of Firecrest visitors in autumn but I haven't managed to see one yet. In fact, the only avian wildlife I have seen there was a carrion crow and that was lurking around the outside eating area.

I had to Squirrel, it made me feel better, lol!

I've never seen a Firecrest nor have I seen a Goldcrest anywhere other than in the garden.  Once you catch on to their call you'd be amazed where you hear it!

While everyone else goes and counts their finches I'll stare at my empty nyjer feeder and watch out for my Goldcrest :-D

• Unknown said:

While everyone else goes and counts their finches I'll stare at my empty nyjer feeder and watch out for my Goldcrest :-D

Haven't had chance to count today, Paul but impressed at your 'name dropping'. Used to see goldcrest in a previous garden, where there were plenty of scots pine trees, but we haven't any kind of pines around here so doubt if we will see any. Lovely bird to have in your garden.

• What a lot of feeders.  I have only two goldfinch visiting at the moment.  When it was cold I got 8 max.

Janet D said:

Hi it has just started to snow here and a large flock of goldfinchs has just landed in the tree there must be about 50 of them, my feeder are full up with goldfinchs, with loads waitingfor they turn!

I'm always look forward to seeing the wonderful green of the leaf buds coming into life you don't see any other time of year and the first swallow around the 15th April.  Spring, Spring Spring.

• Unknown said:

Goldfinches were becoming regulars last year and I was up to 4 and they just dwindled down and the Greenfinches well they show up less often than my Goldcrest who comes for a few weeks a year!

Hi Paul

Like Squirrel - You lucky lucky thing.  Goldcrest for even a brief minute is something I would cherish.  You had one for a few weeks... don't suppose you have a piccie or two as they are such lovely little birds.  What did it feed on...................please don't say safflower! (sorry it's a sore subject with me)

• Unknown said:
    What did it feed on...................please don't say safflower! (sorry it's a sore subject with me)

LOL Kezmo!!! Paul won't understand, but I sympathise totally.

Cheers, Linda.

See my photos on Flickr

• Anonymous
    0 Anonymous 10/02/2010 05:07 in reply to Sparrow

A bit of catching up to do.

Birding Barbara: What a great site all those Goldfinches on your feeders.

Must be a great food source to attract that many.

Regards

Kathy and Dave.

• Unknown said:

Hi Paul

Like Squirrel - You lucky lucky thing.  Goldcrest for even a brief minute is something I would cherish.  You had one for a few weeks... don't suppose you have a piccie or two as they are such lovely little birds.  What did it feed on...................please don't say safflower! (sorry it's a sore subject with me)

Hi Kezmo, 

my Goldcrest (I say 'my' to annoy Squirrel, lol!) was always on the suet, didn't seem to matter what suet either; suet balls, suet blocks even suet pellets/nibbles.  I found he liked the insect blocks mostly though.

I have a few photos in my gallery of him.

Now, back to Goldfinches...which I don't have, lol!