Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Tree sparrows nest building in October .

Hi . I have  been doing abit of bird warching in the garden and happened to notice a pair of tree sparrows taking nesting material into one of my boxes . I’ve been watching them taking feathers and other bits and bobs in . Am I right in thinking they may be building a winter roost spot ?

• I get quite a lot of tree sparrows in my garden . They actually built one complete nest year before last only to abandon it when starlings kept pestering them .
    This particular box they are loading has been empty all year which seems abit strange to me .
  • I have some boxes on a type of cherry tree in one corner of my garden which they birds built a nest in that was mobbed , now they are taking feathers into another box in a tree on the opposite side of the garden . Unsure what type of tree this one is .
    I live on the outskirts of a town .luckily I seem to get assorts , I even had a reed bunting visit a couple of winters ago which I managed to get on my wildlife camera . The tree with the 3 boxes together is the tree I was trying to get them to colonise and the one were the starlings scattered them . The other pic with the 2 in is the one they are going in and out of now . The pic I have just taken from my camera is when they built the full nest a couple of seasons ago . 

• There actually going into the other boxes now Smiley