Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Siting a new birdbox

Having had a dead tree removed from our garden I am now struggling for a position  to install my bird box with combined camera . I’ve been wondering if buying a long post and concreting into the corner of the garden would work . I don’t see why not but just wondered what the experts thought , I’m also thinking of increasing the hole diameter to maybe entice the local sparrows or great tits as blue tits didn’t use it last year they used a box in my other tree . I know I will soon need to install it .
thanks in  advance .

• A lot will depend on what bird species your bird box is designed for. Think carefully before making any alterations, because the surrounding environment will also have an impact on what birds will use the nest box and whether it is in a suitable location or not.

You mention an old dead tree had been removed, but you don't mention what other trees or greenery you have in your garden and immediately surrounding gardens. That sort of info could help someone with workable suggestions.

You could include a photo without giving your exact location away, just to show what the immediate environment looks like.

Also, have a look at the following RSPB info: "Making and placing a bird box".

Finally, nesting will almost be finished for this year as adult birds will be  more concerned with getting their latest broods and themselves ready for winter, and for some, that will include migration for our summer visitors. Apart from the weather and the fact the nights are now drawing in, there will be plenty of time between now and the end of the year to proactively locate the nest box with a view to birds becoming interested in it as a suitable nesting home next year.

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/advice/how-you-can-help-birds/nestboxes/nestboxes-for-small-birds/making-and-placing-a-bird-box/

• Hi Mike
    I get quite abit of interest from birds looking into boxes , one of the boxes last year I had a pair of tree sparrows build a full nest but then they abandoned it after a starling started to investigate it obviously failing to get in due to the hole size . I’ve also had great tits investigate a box but never bothered , I then had some coal tits investigating a box but again never bothered , I did have a pair of blue tits nest in one box last year and this year .
    Ideally Ide like to target the tree sparrows or coal tits . Il post some pics up tomorrow of the planned location .
    I forgot to say this season was the first season I had my camera box up in the dead tree , blue tits did look in a couple of times but they ended up nesting in another box .
    Ide like to get it all set up ready for the birds to get used to it .
    Cheers
  • You're welcome, and I look forward to reading some good news with the relocated nest box.