Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Sunshine After The Rain

It has been a very wet day here....until I got home from work.  In a short space of time the rain stopped, the clouds disappeared and the sun came out!  A number of our local birds were quick to take advantage of this:

There were also a few gulls around:

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Nice Clare - at least it had the decency to rain whilst you were at work and be sunny when you got in!  Still one or two scruffy looking blackbirds around aren't there?  Lovely to look through your pictures.

See my Flickr photos here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/115745582@N04/

• Lovely photos. Blue sky after rainfall is so uplifting isn't it?

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• I think birds like sunshine just as much as we do. I managed a couple of hours out this afternoon after the chores. Just after I got home there was thunder and lightening and the heavens opened.

Has your baldy Blackbird got mites or is it just moulting into new feathers?

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Nice variation there Clare,  I haven't seen a pigeon on a feeder before, must be the saucer you have underneath giving it foothold.  Lovely flight photos, how do you do it, OK practice I know, lol  

Lot to learn

• Unknown said:
    Has your baldy Blackbird got mites or is it just moulting into new feathers?

I hope it's moulting.  We've had a few scruffy looking blackbirds around - is this a time of year they should be moulting?

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Moulting I expect Clare, our beaky has just come out of moult a week or so ago his feathers started looking more presentable!  I do wonder whether it was the second time though, I'm sure he was losing feathers earlier on in the summer as well.

Lot to learn

• Your beaky?  LOL!!

Many thanks for the nice comments, everyone.  By the way the seed catcher on the bottom of the big feeder was put there so the bigger birds could feed from it.  The pigeons can't access most of our hanging feeders so we thought it fair that it should get to nibble from one or two.

• Great selection C, great pics!  Poor BB, could have been mite problem but no doubt feathers will regrow soon & that's a late juvie one too!  Love to see the WP's as I don't get close views anymore!  Had a bit of brightness here but not for long enough to venture outside, soooo much heavy rain ... felt like a prisoner today!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

•   Your beaky?  LOL!!

Here you are Clare - our 4 four year old blackbird with it's distinguishing beak!!       He was looking a little scraggy back in July too.

Lot to learn

• Blimey - that certainly is a distinguishing beak!  Good to see it hasn't stopped him from being able to feed.