Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

My first baby hedgehog of 2014!

On checking my trail cam footage this morning I find I have a new hedgehog visiting and it's a baby!

Footage here:-  http://youtu.be/hoZX5MszlwE

So hedgehogs in the area are definitely breeding successfully.

I think the hedgehogs must have bred quite early this year (mine did not hibernate all winter) which is good news as the babies should have plenty of time to be a really good size to get them through next winter.

Also from the trail cam footage I am trying to identify my hogs.I know I have 2 (and baby makes 3!) and there is possibly another.I also know one is a male as he very conveniently had a good scratch right in front of the camera and there was no doubt as to its gender!!

It's not always easy to hug a hedgehog.

But that doesn't mean you shouldn't.

• Brilliant news MP, hope you get more footage!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• I've got one visiting at 5.30p.m. every evening, he has a gammy leg but seems to be getting about OK and feeding.   Haven't had any young in yet.

Lot to learn

• Terrific news, mp, hope there's even more to come!

We're a bit worried about ours just now, as an overgrown garden nearby has new owners and diggers used to clear it!

• Lovely clip. That was a very thorough inspection of the patio.

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• The first sighting of the youngster was over 2 weeks ago and after that night it did not make a reappearance,however I have seen it again(assuming it is the same one)for the past 2 nights.

I am getting to 'know' my hedgehogs by sight on the trail cam and as I said in a previous post thought I may have 3 individuals plus the youngster.

Last night on my front lawn I had 2 doing the mating ritual for a VERY long time,then junior turned up and then I saw another hog just up the road.So I can say I definitely have at least 3 hogs plus a juvenile.I am sure I have another as I know I have 2 quite large hogs.

So there seems to be quite a good population round here and breeding as well!

Also had another fight on the patio the other night,they really do go for each other!

I am so glad I had my trail cam for my birthday.The first thing I do every morning is check the footage to see who has turned up!

• Great news MP, any pics/vids to post for us who have no hoggies?

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Here is a clip of a fight (of at least a bit of pushing around a bit) from a few nights ago:-

www.youtube.com/watch

• Good video MP, glad to hear you are sighting a good few in your area.  The one that was visiting me had a swollen leg and I found it in the daytime trying to get out of the sun but not succeeding.  I picked it up and took it to the lady who cares for quite a few here on Anglesey.   I will be phoning her up to see if indeed it did survive and bringing it back here if so.   Keeping my fingers crossed.

Lot to learn

• Just an update on my hoggies.

I regularly see up to 4 or 5 every night.

I say 'see' but they are mostly caught on the trail cam in the early hours of the morning around 3-4am.

I can recognise the individuals quite well now and junior  is growing very quickly and almost full grown so should be OK to go through a winter.

They have not used the hog house for the whole summer so they obviously have other places to go.

Trail cam footage can be a bit samey so really used just to see who is about.

I will post any 'exciting' footage if I get any!!!

• Nice to know your young-un is still surviving and growing MP.  The small one I took in for help did not survive sadly, but just lately we have seen three in the garden, early evening, just after dark really, so we hope to also get the odd young visiting too.

Lot to learn