Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

New Hoggy feeding station a success!!!

I have just replaced my old hedgehog feeding station with a new one.

With this one I have kept the lid on the bottom and put a sheet of newspaper on it to make cleaning a bit easier.

The new station is much clearer and I can see my hedgehogs better!

The tunnel is in an effort to stop the local cats from getting a free meal.

I had wondered how long it would take for the hedgehogs to use it,the answer is 2 minutes!!!

I had just come inside and took a quick look out the window and it was already in use.

The hedgehog is small and possibly not heavy enough to get through a winter but I am putting food and water out and it has made a nest in the hog house on the patio so hopefully I can get it through the winter.

It is an 'unmarked' hog and it has been around for a couple of weeks.My 2 marked hedgehogs have paint identification marks so I know who is visiting but these have been absent for a while.

Anyway here is a pic of the new station in use.

It's not always easy to hug a hedgehog.

But that doesn't mean you shouldn't.

• I have been using Go-cat 'Tender & Crunchy' and it seems they don't like the tender bits just the crunchy!!!

Will go back to the standard Go-cat as that seems to go best.

Just had a sneeky peek in the hog house and can see one hedgehog on the edge of the nest.There may even be 2 in there but will not disturb them to find out!

• Hi MP, that's a great invention! Well done to you! That's brilliant!

Cheers, Jason

• I'm afaid I can't take the credit for the 'invention' ,that was doggie's idea!!!

I just changed to a clear box so I could see the hedgehogs!

Have not seen my hoggies for a couple of days but the food is all being eaten and the nest in the hog house seems to be occupied.

• Will they 'hibernate' in the nest in the box? Will it be warm enough in there?

I moved the bowls of dried mealworms and of water to the middle of the walkway as only the cats have drunk the water.

How can I tell if there's a hog under the pile of leaves I made for them?

I envy the results of your dedication, mp!

• I am hoping they will hibernate in there this year.In previous years the box has only been used for sleeping during the rest of the year and not in the winter.I don't think it has to be warm as such as if so they would not hibernate,it has to be dry and safe more than anything.

Very difficult to see if a hog is in the nest without actually disturbing it,I know one was in mine because it was sleeping on the edge and could see it!

Just a couple of photos below of the box and nest,I shall attempt video as well!

The box did let in the rain so I have added a gravel tray to cover the whole box and it now stays lovely and dry.

• Would just like to mention that the hedgehogs originally came to me and once I knew they visited I started to feed them.When I put the first hog house in the garden I was delighted to see it used the first day.

I think the single most important thing you can do to help hedgehogs is to allow them access into gardens,a hole in the wall,a gap ynder the fence or gate,access into your neighbours garden etc.

The more places they can go the better for them.

• Here are the video links.

They just show where the hog house and feeding staion are in the garden

The hog house at the moment looks a bit exposed but the shrub next to it should grow to hide it a bit.The shrub was cut back hard this year so the new patio could be laid.

It is all right next to the house and back door but that does not seem to trouble them!

• Still working on the video links!!!

• It's not always easy to hug a hedgehog.

• Have added the links and hope they work!