Family is very handy, don't you find? On my way down from Wales last week, I was able to stay overnight halfway down at my sister's house in Staffordshire.

Now she only got into gardening about three years ago, and I was very flattered to find that she had enacted almost precisely the plan I had suggested for her garden.

I repaid the compliment by spending six hours digging for her. Oh, and we had a nice trip around a couple of garden centres and their cafes to!

More of that in my next blog, but I have to show you this. While I was toiling away breaking up the hard pan in a particularly troublesome part of her garden, I heard the soft 'pew pew' of Bullfinches. If you don't know the call, imagine someone trying to whistle but being ever so bashful and embarrassed.

An hour or so later, I heard them again and saw them fly through into the neighbours' garden.

Peering over the fence, there they were, enjoying the seed on a bird table (although I only managed to photograph the male).

I like too the homespun Wood Pigeon deterrent the neighbours had used - very simple, and probably very effective in a roofed bird table like this.

Now my sister hadn't seen Bullfinches around her garden before, despite having a very similar bird table. So I suggested that we move the table to a new position, away from being slap-bang up against a leylandii hedge, and into the ley of a young oak and rowan tree, about four feet from cover.

And next day, there he was, happily munching. Gorgeous!

Now Bullfinches have a reputation of being a bit set in their ways, unwilling to adapt. And until 2007 they were Red listed because of their serious population declines.

But there are signs - just little signs - that they have turned the corner in both respects. Populations are beginning to increase.  And while still a rare garden bird, they seem to be learning that they can be that little more bold and enjoy the things we have to offer in gardens.

I live in hope in my garden!

If you want to drop by my RSPB wildlife gardening blog, it is updated every Friday, and I'd love to see you there - www.rspb.org.uk/community/blogs/hfw

Parents Comment Children
No Data