Now I don't think I need to tell you that this is NOT the best bird photograph ever taken.

But it is the only one I've ever taken of this particular species. And it is such a glam bird that even to have a hazy image like this to remind me of my encounter in 2005 is enough to generate something of a thrill.

It's one of those birds that many people can recognise even though they may not have seen it. That peachy wash across its undersides, the highwayman mask, and the fluffy comb-back crest make this unmistakably a Waxwing. Even the name is tantalisingly curious - and yes, adults do have bright red waxy blobs on their wings.

So the reason for showing a 2005 photo in a blog that normally tries to be thoroughly up to date is because this is looking like it could be one of those Waxwing winters. And that means that this could be the year when the berry bush or crab apple you so lovingly planted gets the visit of a lifetime from these exotic wanderers.

Waxwings breed in northern Scandinavia and across into Siberia. As winter comes, they push south and west. But if the Rowan berry crop is good over there, or if they haven't had a great breeding season, then they can find enough food without having to move too far.

But if the berry crop fails, or the breeding season was brilliant so that there are too many birds for the food supply, on they push, forced out across the North Sea. And this year flocks have been arriving on the east coast and especially in Scotland, where there are already groups in excess of 100 in places.

And what makes them such a target for wildlife gardeners is that they seem programmed to search for food in built-up areas. Here they have the chance of finding ornamental cherries still heavy with fruit, and all the pyracanthas and apples and cotoneasters and roses still flush with fruit.

Down here on the south coast, it is a long shot that they will visit - few percolate down this far, and if they do I only have a few haws and rose hips left because the Blackbirds and Starlings have long since finished off all my Rowan berries, elderberries and cherries.

But I remain ever hopeful, because if they do ever visit, I will be shaking with excitement. And although I'll be envious, I do hope you are lucky with them this winter.

If you want to drop by my RSPB wildlife gardening blog, it is updated every Friday, and I'd love to see you there - www.rspb.org.uk/community/blogs/hfw

Parents Comment Children
No Data