Newbie from South Wales

My name is Kathryn and I am new on here.

Due to covid I have been unable to work due to health issues and am shielding and been under house arrest for nearly a year now.

I have developed a new love, passion, obsession, expensive hobby....

Bird watching, i bought a nice bird feeding station and decided to see what would come in our garden. 

We live in Barry, South Wales and live right by the sea. Our house is off a very busy road but then also behind our house we have acres and acres of fields and woodland. 

I live in a small cul-de-sac with only 14 houses but it is busy with cars and people constantly back and forth our front garden is very open with only a few pots with conifers for shelter etc and i know birds prefer shelter and to hide so wasn't expecting much action with my new hobby but omg I have been so surprised and it has made my whole lockdown experience so much more enjoyable to cope with having these beautiful birds.

We normally have 2 wood pigeons, ive called phil and phyllis hahahaha, magpie, and a pair of collared doves, and a robin now and again but rare... But this week I have had 6 different species of bird in the garden. Am so excited by this...

We have had a tiny bird appear that me and my husband are thinking it is a wren, my auntie who is a bird watcher and has a book she always reads says NO it isnt. 

Can anyone help us with identifying the little thing. 

I apologise for the rubbish blurry photo I took it was hard as through a window, far away and such a tiny bird. 

Anyway thanks for reading and will share my photos of all my birds on the forum and hoping to make some new bird friends as everyone thinks ive gone bird crazy....  

• Looks like a juvinile Robin  before they get there red breast Blush

• Looks like a juvinile Robin before they get there red breast Blush
  • Thanks Davio I have been told by a few others on here it is a dunnock??? Do you think??
  • I may be wrong looking at the photo I think it has the bold Robin eyes, a dunnock has a less bold eye,
  • They do look very similar I have had both in my garden and the eyes are different, maybe you can get comparison photos on the net and compare with your photo as it maybe clearer that way, if I could send a photo of them both I would, its great you are enjoying your new hobby it really is relaxing watching them
  • I wish I had a better photo to be honest, its a terrible blurry photo. Can't you tell im a newbie to this. JoyJoyJoyJoy
  • Early days, things get better, the fact u have a photo is great, any photo is better than none, keep enjoying what you are doing, it really is good
  • Welcome to the forum, Kath, from the Surrey/Hampshire border. While we do not live in Wales, we do love visiting there and until this last year have had a holiday there nearly every year for decades; we've visited RSPB Newport Wetlands numerous times as well as several other reserves, and even volunteered at a wildlife centre in northwest Wales. There are a lot of folk who love birds as much as you do who post on these threads. Do not worry about being a beginner--everyone else posting here had to start somewhere, and even some of the most experienced birders occasionally learn something new; some of us learn something new nearly every day. As you have seen, there are people here who are willing to help out, even if some IDs are wrong now and then! Robbo knows his birds so I'd go for his ID of your visitor, a Dunnock. And I also agree with Davio--any photo is better than no photo (and I say that even though I do not have a camera!) At least you have a record of this bird which is new for you, never mind how blurry, and that is always great to have. Some of us have a tendency to be a bit mad now and then as well, especially when it is not the breeding season or during migration (and now during the pandemic!), but it is (usually!) harmless, so feel free to join in. Best of luck with your birding and photography, and I look forward to hearing from you again, photos or no photos.
  • Thank you so much for your lovely reply.

I am thoroughly enjoying my new love and hobby.

It has most certainly been my life line the past year.

Hope you are keeping well and staying safe.

And will post my photos and videos.

Kath xx.