BGBW What was you Star Species?

It's all done for another year, at least for me.  I got the usual suspects and no more, so I have I've awarded my star status to the Goldfinch - they came out in force for me, and I didn't get any last year.  I got 8 species last year, 5 this year, and only 2 of these were on last year's list - interesting.  Which species was the star for everyone else?

Annie

Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better.

Einstein

• We also had a redpoll it been coming in and out for a week or so

• My seems to be the sparrow! lol Not much in this year but enough of these guys in to keep the kids interested.

• Two pairs of bullfinches and a yellow hammer were our star turns. Still haven't spotted any goldfinches even with all their favourites out! Will keep trying!

• Sounds like a great day had by all! We also had a great day, has been a little quiet this week so wasn't holding out much hope, however, we get everything today! I must admit I did it two 30 minute stints, morning and afternoon as we were out, but my start turns were a pair of nuthatches (only ever seen one before) and in the last 5 minutes of the afternoon session 2 male and 1 female bullfinches!!! also got 3 long tailed tits and our resident great spotted woodpecker called in a couple of times to say hello so really pleased with the results! Hope everyone has a great weekend watching the garden birds, it's been a wonderful weekend for them!

Janie :-)

Fish are friends not food :-)

• After a poor showing yesterday, we finally got some good results today via the bathroom window of all places!  Got a great view of the large Sparrow family (20+) that seem to enjoy feeding from my tables, along with a couple of stricking Coal tits.

• My stars were the 6 Tree Sparrows who have lived in my trees for the past year or so, closely followed by the Nuthatch, the Bramblings our regular Wren and a pair of Long Tailed Tits.  A pair of Jays appeared at the bottom of the hillside that is our garden, digging up some acorns:  first time I have seen these and the Sparrow Hawk kindly waited unitl the end of the hour before making its dash across the slopes.  Just as I had completed my entry a huge flock of Linnets descended noisily on our treetops.

• Hi appleanne, my star species would have to be the Siskins especially as they had a Lesser Redpoll tagging along with them :)

Judy Kennett

• It always seems to be a bit hit and miss but this year we had a wide variety and the 12 chaffinches topped the list. A siskin paid a courtesy visit and a couple of redpolls but the most interesting were a couple of Lapland buntings. Being in East Lothian we are on the motor way from the north and Scandinavia so you never know whose going to come by. Last year it was 20 waxwings. Good to see some house sparrows again and interesting to hear other folks' experiences.

Ian and Maureen

ps The LTTs foresook us!

• Auchenbrae said:
    the most interesting were a couple of Lapland buntings.

Not many people would get those in their garden. You didn't get any photos I suppose? I'm sure people would love to see them.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Well, between 1pm and 2pm today, our star was a tree creeper searching away on a moss covered wall. Also spotted 3 greater spotted woodpeckers and the usual

daily visitors.