His Final Flight (Warning, sad content)

Hi folks. As the title suggests, there's a couple of photos here that some might prefer not to see. I heard the flapping of wings when I was down the garden with the camera and I spotted a Sparrowhawk further up the garden next to the pole for the washing line. There were no other sounds so I'm thinking that the unfortunate Sparrow didn't know what hit him. By the time I got the camera on the bird I only managed a few shots. A bit sad maybe but the Sparrowhawk has got to eat as well, and in all fairness, we have lots of Sparrows here so it's hardly surprising that the Sparrowhawk often hunts in this area.

This is at just over 200mm and it took me a few seconds to actually see the bird.

A few closer shots.

As i said, there were no sounds of a struggle so I think the Sparrow was long gone before these last shots were taken.

Paul

My bird photos HERE

• It's always a sad sight watching sparrowhawks take small birds and pluck them before your very eyes.  It happened in my garden several times last year - once three days in succession until it got to the point where I felt guilty for feeding the birds because I almost felt as though I was handing the sparrowhawk dinner on a plate.  Luckily I didn't see it for a long time after that.

Don't want to put the cat amongst the pigeons but thinking about it logically, why is it we get upset watching a sparrowhawk eat a bird, but find it all right to watch a bird eat a worm, or a heron eat a fish?  Or even feed live mealworms to our garden visitors?  This food chain business can be quite a gruesome thing.  It still doesn't make it easier to watch though does it?

See my Flickr photos here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/115745582@N04/

• P.S.  Almost forgot to say whilst I was ranting - great photos Paul of nature taking its course!

See my Flickr photos here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/115745582@N04/

• great shots of nature in the raw Paul, sad, but a fact of life, and when I think of what humans get up to! well!

Terry

cheers  Terry

my photo's here

• Evening Paul,  you did well to capture these amazing photos albeit a sad collection, however, as you say there are lots of sparrows and the Sparrowhawk is only doing what comes naturally for his own survival.   With fewer birds on the feeders at the moment due to the busy nesting season I haven't seen much of the Sparrowhawk in our garden.  

Regards, Hazel 

• Very good pics Paul of the sparrowhawk in flight, as everyone else said it is sad to see, but they have to eat.   The sparrow won't have known much about it thank heavens.   We awoke a few weeks ago to find the back garden covered in white feathers, one of the local pigeons had met his maker, I was quite glad not to have seen the actual taking and plucking.

Lot to learn

• I wasn't sure if I was going to post these shots but its only natural as you all say.!! He came back a few hours later but left empty clawed this time. I have to say that of all the times I've seen Sparrowhawk's in the garden, this is only the second time I've seen a successful attack. Thanks everyone for your kind comments.

Paul

My bird photos HERE

• They are really interesting photos as I thought they caught most of their prey on the wing, it was obviously hiding & waiting for a good moment to pounce. Great shots too, in the right place at the right time with camera to hand, & didn't fluff it!!LOL

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• Thanks Hazel. I'm not sure if the Sparrow was taken in the air or on the ground as I didn't actually see it happening. Where it is in the garden I think the Sparrowhawk may have swooped in tight to the fence and obviously taken the Sparrow by surprise. As I said though, I don’t really know as I only heard the wing beats.

Paul

My bird photos HERE

• Superb photography and although it's obviously distressing because of the loss of the little bird it's also fascinating to see the Sprawk at work. A couple of years ago I was sitting in the garden when there was a noise above and a Sparrow Hawk landed at the top of the garden on a pigeon. It looked at me balefully as I approached and carried on raking the pigeon with its talons. I got a little closer and it took off leaving the pigeon , which flew off with no apparent ill effects.

• Thanks John. The only other time I seen a successful attack in the garden was when a Sparrowhawk chased a Sparrow into the Willow tree in my garden. The Sparrow landed on he ground below the tree about 3 feet away from me and the Sparrowhawk dropped out of the tree and took the Sparrow away. Sad to see but that's just the way of it.!!

Paul

My bird photos HERE