Technical Test Thread

I have decided to start this thread for discussing technical issues that come up rather than messing up the other threads.

I guess the first issue seems to be pasting Word text into posting boxes.

Recently we have had three threads lockup up as a result of posts involving Word text.

• That video keeps buffering for me PATILY - but so do lots of others lately :-(  There is a program called Speedbit that's supposed to deal very effectively with buffering, but when I installed it my PC seized up and I had to do a system restore - not everyone had that problem, must have been some incompatibility personal to me! :-(

IMAGICAT

• For those who wish to let google do the searching for news or some obscure information (such as sightings of Caledonia), all one needs are 'key words', where to search, everywhere or say news and an email address. I always use an anonymous email address, say....googlesearch@xyz.co.uk, but that is only needed if one wishes to protect one's privacy.

Then the results come in to your email in box. When you do not wish to get any more, each email has a link to google, to cancel the alert.

Google alert

Alert set-up....I shall provide this link shortly, I need to shut down Firefox, because I am logged into my Google Account.

EDIT:

Alert set-up

ChloeB & Tiger's Osprey Data Site

Sat track schedule Spring 2014

LG 7 days; RW & SWT nil; LDOP varies

• I have spent the last 24 hours with a very irritating problem. It was affecting all three of my browsers and is one of the strangests problems I have ever had.

None of the usual solutions worked.

Basically when I came to RSPB the browser went dead slow and the processor raced often leading to the lock up of the browser.

I tried most things but nothing seemed to work.

I was about to do a system restore when I decided to turn off Rapport! It worked.

Guess I will not be using Rapport any longer.

• Tiger - a very funny & un-nerving just happened here - not knowing what Rapport was I googled it and then couldn't get out of the google page for a couple of minutes - is it that powerful???!!!!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• WendyBartter said:

Tiger - a very funny & un-nerving just happened here - not knowing what Rapport was I googled it and then couldn't get out of the google page for a couple of minutes - is it that powerful???!!!!

There is definitely something real strange going on with Rapport today.

• I have Rapport on one of the machines I don't use very often, it hadn't caused me any problems previously which suggests this is a recent problem. If I remember, I will use it tomorrow and see what happens.

• I have spotted my Rapport giving me hundreds of blocked process reports. These are mostly a function called "GetClipboardData". This seems to have happened after my recent FireFox updates to v16.0.0 and and 16.0.1 . The PC is still running fairly well though(Windows XP). At first I thought I must have contracted a virus! Hopefully further updates should sort this out.

• This is really strange. I commented on this thread earlier today re Rapport and the post has disappeared.

Anyway, what I had said was that the machine with Rapport installed (Windows 7) was indeed having browser problems. Pages were sluggish and the processor seemed overly laborious. I uninstalled Rapport, restarted my machine and all is now fine again.

I installed a load of Windows updates since then and still ok.

• I have just done a fresh download (from my bank website, as recommended) and installed Rapport again. No problems so far, fingers crossed!

No idea what sent things haywire but right now all works perfectly fine.