Thoughts on Spam

Just a quick though - if we just report the post and poster and don't comment it should hopefully disappear off the first/second/third page fairly fast given the speed of everything at the moment.

Cin J

• Unknown said:

Except on all the other UK Forums i use there are at least moderators either with names or unnamed. But at least there is someone who will at least reply to anyone. At the RSPB there iis someone who will reply to anyone on Facebook or Twitter. And that’s the way things are going generally. More people now use Twitter and Facebook than Forums. Many might not like. But that is true!

True to a point, though it has been on many the occasions the spam isn't removed instantly. A lot will be down to the availability of moderators being their daily to react, and if they have a full time job, then it isn't going to happen that quick.

As for social media, that sadly is all too true, and not something I'm keen on. I'd like to say its their loss, but all too often, its not.

From my perspective, the biggest downfall for a lot of organisations and businesses, they try to get you to visit their social media pages, a big pet hate of mine, TrustPilot and Google reviews, I will not subscribe to those.

• We seem to be having ongoing spam posts at the moment with web links to none relevant sites; with moderators not having enough time to monitor or delete these dodgy posts the only other way around it is to perhaps only allow rspb paying members to access the community pages. I've always believed the community should be open to all ...... anyone wanting to ask their bird/wildlife questions, gain an ID or seek general help but if this constant spam is going to be a regular problem where we have to keep flagging them up multiple times then I can only think to limit access to the community pages to rspb members only. Obviously other pages like the shop and general information tabs could be left open to www. I'm sure it's been considered by many before and we've always been of similar opinion and to allow general access, however, with difficulty erasing these posts quickly it may be better to limit who gets access. I doubt any paid member would be there to post spam/links. !!

Regards, Hazel 

• Guess we will have to see over the next few weeks just how frequent these spam posts appear and if it is an increasing problem, then either RSPB will have to increase the security of the community website or consider limiting some of the tabs to members only areas. Shame we have lost so many brilliant and valued community members but completely understand why some left due to frustration with the impact the "upgrade" caused. I feel like I'm clinging to a lifebelt here and slowly drowning. lol.

Regards, Hazel 

• Unknown said:
    Guess we will have to see over the next few weeks just how frequent these spam posts appear and if it is an increasing problem, then either RSPB will have to increase the security of the community website or consider limiting some of the tabs to members only areas. Shame we have lost so many brilliant and valued community members but completely understand why some left due to frustration with the impact the "upgrade" caused. I feel like I'm clinging to a lifebelt here and slowly drowning. lol.

Sadly I’ve said exactly that over the years. If there are no moderators or regular moderation happening on this community forum. The only way would be to register and log in using your membership number. Otherwise this will continue unabated. Then if there are any future problems. The staff will have the address of any members on this community forum. If there are now for various reasons that the RSPB cannot have regular moderation on this forum. The only way would be to either close down this forum or sadly a members only forum where members membership number(s) would be needed to register or log in! Im in a local wildlife members forum where only members can access, because a lot of these similar problems as well. Also as mentioned possible promisisee from, some members of staff never happen and then disappointment happens. That’s why when promises happen I just can’t  believe anything that is said. If something does improve after this, I will be the first to say thank you. But until that happens I just can’t take any words from higher up at the RSPB at the present moment!

Regards,

Ian.

• Just before things started to go south with my leg, I had a look at two old forums I used to frequent.

One had totally disappeared, but I knew a good contributor to that forum, so contacted him to see what had happened, and you'll not be surprised, to read, closed down due to spam.

The other, was spam riddled, but now that one seems to have gone, or I would have shared the link so you can see, it is a scourge of today, not just here.

While I dislike spam (in fact I'm getting to detest advertising generally, it seems everywhere thrusts themselves on you today, hunger for personal data, and money, to pipe an endless feed of personalised adverts), the forum I feel does provide some useful help for newcomers, who will ask the right questions and take on board what we share with them. of course, there are those who think they know best and carry on regardless.

But for those few who do listen, learn and take on board advice, I feel there is still a positive service offered here.

We may not reach out to everyone, but if we can help a few, then that has to be a plus.

And of course, not forgetting the core of the forum, the friendships built up etc.

• Unfortunately I'm beginning to worry about security for anyone like myself. Maybe put up with the excising situation with spam.. But unless we all know security is ok on this forum! I still worry about that at the present moment. And unless there are active moderators on this forum! I still would say a members only forum or sadly close down this forum. Until i know everything security wise is ok 100%

Regards,

Ian.

• Unknown said:
    Unfortunately I'm beginning to worry about security for anyone like myself. Maybe put up with the excising situation with spam.. But unless we all know security is ok on this forum! I still worry about that at the present moment. And unless there are active moderators on this forum! I still would say a members only forum or sadly close down this forum. Until i know everything security wise is ok 100%

I fully share your concerns, however, any organisation (that includes the major clearing banks, govt depts and many others) today is at serious risk of hacking, and sadly, most hacking attempts seem to come from Russia and quite a few from China!

There isn't an easy or safe option, and I think it will get more perilous as time progresses, the hunger for more personalised data, money etc, not just here, but everywhere online.

As for a members only forum, I thought it was when I first signed up, so was a little surprised in the early days to find out different. It could be a good idea, but would it actually be any safer?

All it takes is a few silent members lurking in the background, so I'm not so sure, and that isn't just here, that is everywhere where you need to logon, banks, utility companies etc etc.

The key things to do are

• Use a reputable Antivirus program and keep it up-to-date, and most now include a Firewall (to block hacking attempts), along with many other online safety features.
    • Don't click on links unless you are really sure you know who and what they are
    • Use strong passwords (always a pain to try and remember), utilising a mix of numbers, eatters, lower/upper case and characters

I fear it is the future, not to be negative, but to be realistic. The lazy hazy (sorry Hazel, no pun intended) days we remember are long gone.

• It just needs to be changed to a complete new RSPB members forum as a complete new forum if necessary where any RSPB member has to join again as a new community forum member(sadly) Every RSPB member would have to register again  there new password which would have to be there membership number. It might take a longish period to do this. But if that’s the case so be it. Then only the staff and moderators if necessary would know every RSPB members address in the UK(or abroad).But as long as spam continues as it will unless actively moderated as this RSPB Community Forum used to be. Also before any RSPB member are allowed to join this RSPB Community Forum after registering, RSPB staff or moderators(if that that happens) couldn’t join on this RSPB Community Forum until registration was checked as on a weekend when no staff are on duty or bank holidays and anyone registering might have to wait until a member of staff can check the full details. I can remember that weekend when hundred upon hundreds and thousands per minute of supposed posts in the Chinese language happened over a weekend when of course all of the RSPB’s headquarters staff where not available to sort that mess out!

Regards,

Ian.

• Unknown said:

It just needs to be changed to a complete new RSPB members forum as a complete new forum if necessary where any RSPB member has to join again as a new community forum member(sadly) Every RSPB member would have to register again  there new password which would have to be there membership number. It might take a longish period to do this. But if that’s the case so be it. Then only the staff and moderators if necessary would know every RSPB members address in the UK(or abroad).But as long as spam continues as it will unless actively moderated as this RSPB Community Forum used to be. Also before any RSPB member are allowed to join this RSPB Community Forum after registering, RSPB staff or moderators(if that that happens) couldn’t join on this RSPB Community Forum until registration was checked as on a weekend when no staff are on duty or bank holidays and anyone registering might have to wait until a member of staff can check the full details. I can remember that weekend when hundred upon hundreds and thousands per minute of supposed posts in the Chinese language happened over a weekend when of course all of the RSPB’s headquarters staff where not available to sort that mess out!

A Members only forum would probably lose quite a few people, but that would be one option of trying to limit SPAM. However, the best way to limit SPAM is proper moderation and obviously for the individual not to click on links. There has always been the option to give trusted users Moderator functions - which in most Social Media circles are much more restricted than Admin Functions. Personally I just feel the RSPB are reluctant to invest in these forums and suspect that the real glue holding this facility together are the Osprey Forums.

The biggest security risk from hackers and the like is actually to members as the RSPB hold personal data and probably Credit Card details. For non-members all they hold is an email address and many people have several of those anyway.

• I for one wouldn't pay to use a forum.

I am an RSPB member, and I have no issues with non-members joining the forum and asking for help or advice. That is often their lifeline for valuable info to help nature along its way.

You never know, one or two may decide at a later stage to join.

The problem with personal data extends further than just the host holding your details, for a great many organisations actually sell off your personal details to third party organisations to target you with sales adverts.

Next time you visit a website, particularly those which show the organisations they share data with, and start to look into some of those third party organisations origins, it gets alarming, especially as many are not UK or EU based, or even USA. Many are from Asia!

Add to that, many organisations, particularly the global organisations, will share data not with a few, but often hundreds of third party organisations!

Soon after GDPR became law, one organisation I selected, copied and pasted into an Excel sheet, all the organisations they shared data with. After sorting the text, which didn't take long in Excel, the final count was 792!

Next time you get the option to agree or not to the sharing of your data, check out those so-called Legitimate Interest links, particularly those which are press related, ie the big newspapers.

You will be horrified at all those organisations making a fat profit from your personal data, and the hacking potential to those third party organisations, I dare not think about.

As for paying to use the forum, there is no guarantee that a newly paid up member that may have signed a declaration, will adhere to the T&Cs. Once that spam post has been made, they've got their wicked way.