Some thoughts on covid 19 restrictions

ASs some regulars may know I sometimes have a few health problems that at times restricts my access to the countryside so many of the restrictions that we have endured, and are still enduring, do not feel strange to Chris and myself. My immune system is pretty shot up at times so I'm quite good at avoiding numbers of people, I'm maybe not as anti social as it seems, and I've never been a lover of shopping unless its books. When we were recommended to shield in our own homes we actually realised we could walk the riverside fields with permission from the owners and had little chance of meeting anyone so we felt quite happy there. When restrictions eased we have four small nature reserves within a couple of miles of home with plenty of space to avoid close contact but still both watch birds and talk about birds with others doing the same, quite a little anti social bird club we are. There has been good birds aplenty and as winter has drawn closer the wintering Thrushes arrived we have been doing counts on them. One of our local reserves has got a wonderful Starling murmuration,60,000 birds at least, which we managed to social distance the grandsons to. We have found by visiting the busiest of the reserves late afternoon most birders have gone home and we enjoy the spectacle of birds going to roost. We do miss visiting our local moorland but they are outside the 3 mile radius we put on ourselves, they will still be there when all this is over and we settle down to our new normal. Because I am in that at risk category we seem to be swimming in hand sanitiser but Chris keeps an eye on what I get up to. I just hope other folk are coping as well as us and getting the support we have been getting, take care out there we will beat this lot somehow.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Wendy S said:
    There was a piece on this on tv very recently,I think it was on one of the celebrity travel programmes that are around at the moment. One of the "plague" villages has a monument to the event.

There was an article by one of the Midlands TV news teams, but it really didn't do any justice to either the history, or the current scenario.

• Just had my Astra Zeneca vaccination and I'm feeling great!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Pleased for you Clare to have more peace of mind, still waiting to hear if I will get mine!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Really pleased for you Clare; just over three weeks since my first dose so feeling a lot safer now and roll on 5th May for my 2nd dose. Mike should have his around mid April. Stay well all.

Regards, Hazel 

• WendyBartter said:
    Pleased for you Clare to have more peace of mind, still waiting to hear if I will get mine!

We both hope that you will be able to be protected soon.  I am very glad Clare has been sorted out.

"Birds are, quite simply, little miracles - and as such they require care and consideration."

Magnus Ullman

My Flickr account is here

• Clare Bailey said:
    Just had my Astra Zeneca vaccination and I'm feeling great!

Nice one, Clare. Just remember it takes three weeks to become fully effective so you won't be able to go out clubbing for a while. LOL

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Had the Pfizer on Sunday. Very sore arm for about 24 hours. Eldest has managed to book hers as she is now considered a health worker.

Cin J

• It's great that we are all getting our jabs hopefully the restrictions will ease and the country can slowly and safeley reclover. I had a covid swab test yesterday before my visit to a day clinic on Saturday, thankfully the test is negative.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• We haven’t had any word of our jags yet, but we can still meet one other person in an outdoor situation while maintaining social distancing rules.

Preparation for a jamming session tonight with my partner in crime.!!

Ok, so it isn’t the Usher Hall, I’ll give you that …. But it’s not raining, and who wants to play at the Usher Hall anyway.!!

The weather can do what it likes, once the burner and oil lamps are going at full blast, there’ll be no stopping us …. Even if you were to insist profusely.!! :-)

The audience were already arriving at the other side of the fence, such is our popularity.

They must have….  ahem….  herd… that there was live entertainment this evening.!!

The term 'entertainment' can be interpreted in various ways.!!  ;-)

My bird photos HERE