Some thoughts on covid 19 restrictions

ASs some regulars may know I sometimes have a few health problems that at times restricts my access to the countryside so many of the restrictions that we have endured, and are still enduring, do not feel strange to Chris and myself. My immune system is pretty shot up at times so I'm quite good at avoiding numbers of people, I'm maybe not as anti social as it seems, and I've never been a lover of shopping unless its books. When we were recommended to shield in our own homes we actually realised we could walk the riverside fields with permission from the owners and had little chance of meeting anyone so we felt quite happy there. When restrictions eased we have four small nature reserves within a couple of miles of home with plenty of space to avoid close contact but still both watch birds and talk about birds with others doing the same, quite a little anti social bird club we are. There has been good birds aplenty and as winter has drawn closer the wintering Thrushes arrived we have been doing counts on them. One of our local reserves has got a wonderful Starling murmuration,60,000 birds at least, which we managed to social distance the grandsons to. We have found by visiting the busiest of the reserves late afternoon most birders have gone home and we enjoy the spectacle of birds going to roost. We do miss visiting our local moorland but they are outside the 3 mile radius we put on ourselves, they will still be there when all this is over and we settle down to our new normal. Because I am in that at risk category we seem to be swimming in hand sanitiser but Chris keeps an eye on what I get up to. I just hope other folk are coping as well as us and getting the support we have been getting, take care out there we will beat this lot somehow.

• Unknown said:
    Michael Gove.

Oh, bloody hell.

• I think that there will be enough people waiting to get their vaccination for a long time to come. I don't think discussing peoples personal choices is helpful but the information from Ann & Tony on drug research methods was very interesting. Many thanks. I just wish that people would be more keen & respectful when it comes to handwashing & social distancing, especially in supermarkets. The best way to stop this virus is to follow the rules.
  • Unknown said:
    Thanks, Tony and Clare. Great to have confirmation, Tony--thanks! One main issue might be that some people distrust experts, unfortunately. I recall our not-so-esteemed MP telling us during the Brexit row that "we've had enough of experts." With folk like that it is sadly no wonder that some end up doubting everyone and only listen to other uninformed folk.

Its not the experts I distrust, its the politicians.

"Coronavirus: Little evidence of Covid transmission in schools, says Williamson" from a well known news source

Of course there was no evidence, the poor youngsters were effectively locked up for over three months....

That is one of many misleading statements handed out from politicians.

While I applaud the fast introduction of the Covid vaccination, I feel at this early stage, without the evidence to support it due to its very early days, too much is being pinned on the coming months. Things will get easier, but more data is required before we can be certain of when, with the added aspect of international holidays being promoted again, which I feel has too greater chance of setting things back.

On a light-hearted note, for those worried about being tracked, then get rid of you mobile devices, and in particular smart phones, because you're already being tracked.

As for the infertile scare, suites me, and Mrs PR, we're at the stage for grandchildren, not brothers or sisters for our only son. LOL

• Hi

I just read that 'local' is defined in Scotland as 5 miles- in Wales it's 10 miles.

However in Derbyshire it's anywhere you aren't carrying a cup of pre-bought coffee apparently...
    S
  • There is definitely less compliance, which I put down to the "Cummings Effect", even though it's not an excuse.

If Cummings shown some decency, and the law was upheld, I feel a lot more folk would fall in to line more easily.

As for the two Derbyshire girls earlier in the week, they hadn't travelled far, but I do question the integrity of the story. I know some of our police can be heavy handed, but generally, they aim to give advice with probably a smack on the wrist and send you packing. So if those girls were fined, had they done something to antagonise the situation! Or was it dubious reporting, a setup for sensational journalism....

There is also frustration of the ambiguity of the lockdown restrictions, to the point I really am not sure where I stand on the exercise basis. It seems I can only walk from my front door (not an appealing idea) or not at all. I dislike the urban environment, and probably would be covid safer in many places I know, at nearest, 30 mins drive from home. because there is nowhere else, it is all bricks and mortar, or HS bloody 2.

Sorry for swearing.

My local woods, are a druggie haven and full of discarded sofas (often with needles found in them), beds and mattresses from the council estate the other side, and it certainly would not be wise to take any optical equipment, or you'd be branded a peeping tom at best, and almost certainly receive a visit from PC Plod, and understandably so.

Out of respect for others, I'm a prisoner in my own home, a ticking obesity time bomb waiting to explode.

• Hope the vaccine roll out continues at speed; out of interest Mike is 76 and has just been called up for his first vaccine on 28th Jan and 20th April for his 2nd jab (less than 4 miles away at a local pharmacy) ......... so it is happening folks ! the rest of us will have to be patient a while longer.
  • It's wonderful to read the positivity from fellow forumites during this prolonged period of uncertainty. I'm only mildly asthmatic, so hardly in a high risk category. I live on my own, although I am fortunate to have a post PMV Feral Pigeon for company. She lives in the house, so I do have someone to talk to!
    The college risk assessment was leaning towards me having to remain at home during the current lockdown as I am a public transport user. However, if I travel outside of peak hours, I can avoid any kind of contact. I have been wearing disposable latex gloves since last March (not the same pair, obviously) and I use a KN95 mask. I'm a little paranoid and OCD, but I'd rather be overly cautious than put myself or others at risk.
    I was fortunate to be selected for an Office of National Statistics survey and subsequently I have been tested for Covid almost fortnightly since September. It takes place on my doorstep and I do the test myself. It has certainly put my mind at ease, to an extent.
    We only work 2 shifts of 4 1/2 hours each week at present. My need to be on site to observe the behaviour of the Peregrines has added weight to my wish to be at work, so I am grateful for that. I also have the college Robins to feed! Hopefully the YouTube feeds will go live very soon and I will be able to tweak camera 3 if required.
    The college has excellent protocols in place and these are reviewed on a regular basis, so that also puts my mind at ease.
    I don't have any birding areas within reasonable walking distance and I will not use buses. I therefore concentrate on the 40 or so Spadgers that visit daily as well as the Starlings, Goldies and BT's. Of course I also have Apple Tree Robin, who hand feeds and I shouldn't forget the Pigeon Mafia, who number 70 or more. There are also 6 pidges in the aviary. Two cannot be released, but the other four will be soft released in a few weeks.
    Fingers crossed we all get through this without any personal loss and hopefully some of us will meet up at Leighton Moss at the end of June.
    Stay safe everyone.
  • Unknown said:
    out of interest Mike is 76 and has just been called up for his first vaccine on 28th Jan and 20th April for his 2nd jab (less than 4 miles away at a local pharmacy)

Great news, Hazel. The rollout of the vaccine seems to be going remarkably well whatever other criticisms there have been of the Government.

Even though I have been lucky enough to have had both jabs I still have to abide by the same restrictions as everyone else. I tried to go clubbing but they wouldn't let me in unless I brought my own defibrillator. Grin

• Lol TJ ... I get my first jab on Friday a short distance away at my Doc surgery in the village! I have booked the weekend in bed with room service! Haha