Unwanted lost racing pigeon

Hi there, 

I’m hoping I can get some advice please? We’ve had a lost racing pigeon living on our guttering for about 7 weeks now. I feed him bird seed, meal worms, peanuts etc to try to give him the energy to get home. I also followed the advice of not feeding for 2 days. He still comes back. He’s pretty tame and used to me now. I chat to him and he flies down next to me when I come out with the food. He’s able to fly ok and looks better now he’s had some regular food. I’ve offered him shelter outside but it’s probably too low down for him to feel safe I guess.

So I managed to get his number off his band and contacted the royal racing pigeon society who gave me the name and telephone number of his owner. I rang and spoke to him and the short version is he’s been missing since Sept and they don’t want him back. I contacted a local wildlife/bird rescue centre who’ve said they will keep him there if I catch him. 

I was wondering if it was a possibility to keep him myself and provide a home for him, or, would it be better to take him to the rescue centre? If I do keep him I have zero idea what he’d need to live in etc. I hate him being out in this dreadful weather. I also think I read they are not meant to be solitary birds so the shelter (who have a loft) would be better for him? 
If someone could help me make the right choice for this lovely bird I’d be super grateful. He’s currently called Squidge Yum

thank you 

Lisa. 

• Good to hear how well you've been looking after Squidge & can tell how attached you have become but my advice would be to get him to the shelter if it's not going to be too stressful to catch him so he could enjoy the company of others of his kind ... has anyone from this shelter advised how you could catch him?
    I had one here for a couple of months, would come to roost on chalk cliffs every night but never come down for food & water!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• If the bird is getting fed it will be a tough job getting rid of it. Lost birds often join forces with the feral flock in town centres. When I was younger some of my friends kept racing pigeons and would quite happily kill birds that had been lost as they thought they might weaken their breeding stock so squidgy is better off with you.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Sorry, trying to get used to this posting system. 

I've spoken to the bird rescue near me and explained I had spoken to the owner who doesn't want him and they are happy to keep him in their bird loft. Now I am really struggling to catch squidge. Cry  Hubby has tried using a lightweight towel but missed him twice and he flew off. He comes back and is sitting on his favourite spot on our drainpipes. I've tried coaxing him with food and he lets us both get close, just not close enough. 

Any ideas on how I can catch him please? The rescue is open from 10-4 each day and I really wanted him safe before Christmas as he's not very wise with regards to safety from cats. 

Thank you again

lisa

• Hi Lisa, in which part of the country are you located?

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• Hiya,
    I'm in Swansea valley, South Wales.
  • That's a pity. I'm in Surrey, near London. I rescue pigeons and could have helped had you been nearer. I have caught two domesticated pigeons before now. It involved luring them into the house with seed and that made catching them very easy. Would someone from your local rescue centre have time to help you?

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• Awww it's a shame you're so far away, I'd have loved the help. I'm not sure if anyone else is near me? We will try again tomorrow. I'll update.
    Thank you.
  • Sadly he won't let me anywhere near him Cry I'm building him a bigger shelter today in hope he'll at least use it rather than being in the open.