Unwanted lost racing pigeon

Hi there, 

I’m hoping I can get some advice please? We’ve had a lost racing pigeon living on our guttering for about 7 weeks now. I feed him bird seed, meal worms, peanuts etc to try to give him the energy to get home. I also followed the advice of not feeding for 2 days. He still comes back. He’s pretty tame and used to me now. I chat to him and he flies down next to me when I come out with the food. He’s able to fly ok and looks better now he’s had some regular food. I’ve offered him shelter outside but it’s probably too low down for him to feel safe I guess.

So I managed to get his number off his band and contacted the royal racing pigeon society who gave me the name and telephone number of his owner. I rang and spoke to him and the short version is he’s been missing since Sept and they don’t want him back. I contacted a local wildlife/bird rescue centre who’ve said they will keep him there if I catch him. 

I was wondering if it was a possibility to keep him myself and provide a home for him, or, would it be better to take him to the rescue centre? If I do keep him I have zero idea what he’d need to live in etc. I hate him being out in this dreadful weather. I also think I read they are not meant to be solitary birds so the shelter (who have a loft) would be better for him? 
If someone could help me make the right choice for this lovely bird I’d be super grateful. He’s currently called Squidge Yum

thank you 

Lisa.