Add your miscellaneous photos or stories here

• In reply to HAZY:

Hazel, I'd like to hear more tales of your time in Africa and the far East

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• In reply to TeeJay:

TeeJay said:
    You smooth talking Scotsman. If only Paul, he's only about 35.

LOL. I never even noticed him.!! I was refering to the one dangling in mid-air.!! :-)

My bird photos HERE

• In reply to TeeJay:

TeeJay said:

Not sure I can remember that far back although they say it's the short term memory that fails   LOL           I'll have to think.     

One story was whilst we were living in Tanzania and Mike's sister came to stay for a couple of weeks.     Our nearest game park was a 4 hour drive from our home on the Msasani Peninsula (which was thirty mins outside of the city Dar es Salaam).     We headed off in an old Landrover which was part of the company fleet;   after two and half hours Mike pulled over so I could take over driving the final hour and half to the game lodge - Mikumi National Park.      As soon as I got into the driving seat, put the car into first gear,  released the handbrake, foot gently on accelerator I felt nothing and the peddle was flat to the ground in loose fashion !!    I looked over at Mike and said the car felt wrong and it had a serious fault   - he and his sister thought I was joking waiting for us to move off  !      Middle of nowhere, one basic road and those days you didn't have mobiles, any form of communication or even a radio handset within signal range  !!     We were in the middle of the African plain so didn't particularly want to step too far out and away from the vehicle  (lion country ! )  so we pondered a while and had no option but to flag down the next passing vehicle for a tow to the next village which was half an hour away.      We waited and waited when finally we heard sounds of an engine approaching;   turns out it was a double trailer pantechnicon who was kind enough to stop.    The Tanzanian crew were happy to tow us to the next village but I asked Mike to steer our landrover once I saw the length of the tow cord which was an old and frayed piece of sisal or jute rope  LOL     I don't know how Mike managed it apart from his amazing powers of concentration as the rope was no more than 6ft in length and we were right behind a double trailer lorry and could see nothing in front  - just the lorry's rear bumper and sweat pouring down our brows  !      Cutting a very long story a bit shorter,  we made it to the village without incident where we gave the crew some money and drinks from our cool box along with our grateful thanks.   Had to abandon our vehicle at the village hoping the wheels would still be on next morning,  took the local taxi the extra hour to the lodge (at great expense -  driver knew we were up the creek without a paddle with no chance of negotiating a fair price  lol)   and spent the weekend completely marooned with no car to go exploring for wildlife - and this lodge was basic,  no frills or choice of menu  !    We had to book a phone call to the office which wasn't open until the Monday morning and they had to send their mechanic 4 hours to pick us up and bring us back to base without having seen so much as a laughing hyena !     Turns out the cam shaft had failed so it needed major repair;   nothing to do with any woman driver LOL       Next weekend we headed 4 hours back again in a different Landrover !  and did see zebras, warthogs, hippos, giraffe, lionesses/cubs, along with elephants so all's well that ends well.     I'm sure there are better stories but I can't think of any yet - it was so long ago ! 

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• Oh my, at least you had a successful 2nd attempt and saw lots of lovely animals.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• In reply to HAZY:

Crikey that must have been a bit scary being stranded out in the bush without any means of communication. A great tale, Hazel. Glad you got to the game park in the end.

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Great story Hazy, it's amazing how we managed all those years ago without the modern conveniences we have nowadays, we were so blase back then but a mobile phone would have been very useful!!! Glad it all ended happily, and you were able to enjoy the fabulous animals you encountered from the safety of a working vehicle:-)

Lot to learn

• What a fabulous story Hazy, it reminded my of an old TV drama, called Daktari (the program name, and also Swahili for doctor), about a family running a veterinary centre in Africa.

I think they used radios in the series....

For those who remember it, will recall Clarence, the cross-eyed lion!

For those who are too young, see the IMDB link: Daktari: Adventure, Family, TV Series (1966–1969)

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• In reply to TeeJay:

TeeJay said:

Me too, I find stories like that fascinating.

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• Lol Mike, I definitely remember Daktari and Clarence the cross-eyed lion ! I go back as far as Bill & Ben, The Woodentops and Rag, Tag and Bobtail. Mike goes back even further when he tells me about Muffin the Mule LOL

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• In reply to HAZY:

HAZY said:
    Lol Mike, I definitely remember Daktari and Clarence the cross-eyed lion ! I go back as far as Bill & Ben, The Woodentops and Rag, Tag and Bobtail. Mike goes back even further when he tells me about Muffin the Mule LOL

(whispering very quietly, and shyly while blushing) and meeee....  

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler