Add your miscellaneous photos or stories here

Rather than going off topic on other threads,  thought it may be better to create a general "miscellaneous" thread where you can add your stories or pics that are either memorable to you or pics you want to share with forum members;   they don't have to relate specifically to wildlife (as on Odds & Sods thread)  as Tea Rooms is for general chat/pics as long as you follow community acceptable guidelines !    

To start it off I'll transfer over a few pics I put up for Wendy..............

@ Wendy,   I wasn't into photography back in my Aussie days and can't find the happy snappy pics except for these.....

For Mick...…...a pic of Glen McGrath

Pre-match preparations  !    and junk food  lol 

Regards, Hazel 

• Couldn't think where else to put this spoof news item, sent to me by a friend. Whatever your politics, I hope it gives you a laugh (much needed in these trying days!):
    www.newyorker.com/.../in-latest-humiliation-boris-johnsons-dog-resigns-as-his-pet

Kind regards, Ann

• Edit--deleted.  No idea why it posted twice, sorry.  It was funny but possibly not twice--lol!

Kind regards, Ann

• Just came across a link to the finalists in the Comedy Wildlife Awards 2019 HERE   very envious of these magnificent captures.

Regards, Hazel 

• I was looking at that article a few minutes ago, loved the Otter and the Snowy Owl but they are all great. Oh to be in the right place at the right time, just not quick enough these days.
  • Unknown said:
    Just came across a link to the finalists in the Comedy Wildlife Awards 2019

Wonderful photos and highly amusing.. I wish I could take photos as good as that.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Unknown said:
    Wonderful photos and highly amusing.. I wish I could take photos as good as that.

Me too Tony,  I can only dream   lol        Would be interesting to see if any of them are sponsored by the Camera companies, if not I am sure they will get a few offers and freebies shortly !  

Hands up anyone who wants to trial the Canon 1DXmkiii before release   ?    lol    

Regards, Hazel 

• Not had many postings to this thread so I'll bare my soul which I'll call " A blast from the past - the Barra Chronicles"

Barra, for those that don't know, is the second southernmost island in the Outer Hebrides (Western Isles). Vatersay is further south although these days it's connected to Barra by a causeway.

I've been there three times over a span of 36 years. A family friend had built a holiday home there and was happy to let friends to visit and stay there when they weren't using it.

My first visit was in 1973. I was actually in the middle of doing a post graduate degree as a mature student but I sneaked off for a week when I was supposed to be doing my thesis. My tutor was not impressed. In those days the the main port for Barra was Mallaig. I drove all the way in my battered old Ford Cortina in one day. Talk about the long and winding road with a few passing places on single track roads. I couldn't do it now. RoRo ferries didn't exist and I seem to recall the ship had a turntable so that you were facing the right way when disembarking. Somehow I got there to join family members who were already there. The owners of the holiday home had a small boat with an outboard motor which we had the use of. I can't remember too much about the  holiday apart from it was a breath of (very) fresh air but I didn't have a camera in those days. One abiding memory was when we went over to the neighbouring uninhabited island of Fuday about 1 km away.In that part of the world you can get four seasons in one day and when the weather turned for the worse we decided to head back. Would the outboard motor start - no of course it wouldn't. After some discussion which included setting off flares we decided to row back. With four adults, three kids and a dog it was a bit hairy but we made it. We learned later that locals on Barra had been keeping an eye on us.

My second visit was in 1977. This was a lot more civilised with ferries going from Oban. Although it's a longer sea crossing to Castlebay on Barra it's a lot easier to access from the south. No real misadventures on this trip. I don't think I had a camera then either but someone did. For my 80th last year (yes I'm really that old) I was presented with a montage of our trip. I can't believe how slim I was with a mop of curly hair - that might have been the wind on Barra, LOL It's a scan so image quality is not great.

This was a family group last Easter. Hazel might be able to pick me out but can you?

Quite a long gap before my next visit in 2007. This time we flew from Glasgow to Barra. Barra may be the only commercial airport in Britain and possibly the world which land on the beach.

This is real flying where the captain or first officers chat to the passengers through the open cockpit doors. It's operated by LoganAir (I think) using DeHavilland Otters although I stand to be corrected.

I tried to get the landing on the beach but I rather messed that up. I got slightly better photos on take off when we left.

Up, up and away

The holiday home

Leaving Barra.

Overtaking a CalMac ferry

Entering the Clyde

All my yesterdays. Good times.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Awwww, TJ, lovely memories--thanks so much for posting your photos.

Kind regards, Ann

• The Isle of Barra looks idyllic TJ, no wonder you visited there three times, I think it would have been hard to keep me away from that spot. Gorgeous views and you are brave being happy to land on the beach. Lovely family scene on your 80th, are you the gentleman kneeling on the left of the picture, just a guess. Did you see any otters when you were out there, looks to be an ideal location.

Lot to learn

• Unknown said:

Just came across a link to the finalists in the Comedy Wildlife Awards 2019 HERE   very envious of these magnificent captures.

Some brilliant photos there, and believable ones.

Unlike the Countryfile Calendar, where some do look photo-shopped.