New Beginnings

Hello again folks,   we finally completed on our house sale at 11.09am today and handed over the keys to The Laurels, said goodbye (tear) to "our" faithful garden birds and as a farewell parting gift chucked out a whole bag of final mealworm treats for them and chunk of cheese for Earl the Crow  !!    Seemed strange after 9 years there but looking forward to more free time, less garden/housework and more wildlife adventures.     At our temporary rental place we are just 3 miles down the country lanes and its really peaceful; a few doors up from where I grew up  :)         we are on part of a large country estate which is beautifully maintained and so far we've seen a Common Buzzard, Hares, Pied Wagtails, Swallows, House Martins which are nesting above our door !  along with tons of Gatekeeper ?  butterflies and no doubt lots of other insects if I wasn't so tired at the moment to wildlife watch !      Here's an example of what we saw yesterday on our first recce outside the front door …………..

Think these are Gatekeepers as we also saw Meadow Browns

was frustrating as 99% of the time they had their wings closed and I couldn't get decent shots

Skipper   (many thanks to Hazel for ID) 

this next may be Meadow Brown ?

and even a quick glance at a Small Tortoiseshell 

The House Martins and Swallows I put on a thread the other day but here's a Pied Waggie outside the property

and yes, I saw the Polo Ponies too    lol

poor horses were flagging under the heat and the flies …………...

and almost from our front door we can see a very famous Cheshire landmark !      Jodrell Bank radio telescope 

We need a few days to recover from the handover and process but hope to be back shortly with photos of one of the wild hares and anything else that cares to pop its head out !!   Only problem is that somebody (not mentioning names here ! ) left a crate in one of the rooms that got packed by accident -   it had my two BR camera straps in (thankfully not the cameras or lenses) and also the little Celestron spotting scope which we won't see again for the next 8 months   !!     I'll have to go shopping at Wex now the bank funds have just been transferred :)    !!!!    

First it will be feet up on the sofa and chill out (if that's possible in this heatwave) and recover.         

• Oh I do like Toad, its Singapore Noodles here
  • Hopefully a little cooler tomorrow at around 24 degrees so might go have a quick walk around the area just outside our front door as there must be a few more flutterbys around. Thunderstorms due first though; keep cool and carry on regardless lol
  • Oh it's bliss here tonight, temperature dropped to 26° recently & breezy so we've opened up the windows are blowing away 2 days stale hot air! We had Chicken risotto made with a cooked carcase & veggies from the garden. One of my favorites! Have a good day tomorrow Hazy & just calm down, you've plenty of time to enjoy your new found freedom! LOL
  • At least that move is done then ... and if the camera strap is the only thing in the wrong box then you'll have done well!
    Sounds like there is some nice stuff around the new place. with buzzards, hares and lots of flutterbys. I suspect the Martins go with the polo ponies - they always love fields with horses ... well, horse leftovers, I suppose but great to have them nesting on your house.
  • We are still at 31° & being battered by storms coming up from north of Paris ... very early dark & no sitting outside watching for bats tonight methinks ... hope you have luck with butterflies tomorrow aitch!
  • Still pretty warm here and waiting for the thunderstorm to kick in and cool things down; after faffing around changing bank account/Amazon details for my new address, etc., I ordered a new camera strap but went for a "Sun-Sniper" this time as the Rotaball fixing seems a little more secure. Supposed to arrive tomorrow so we'll see !! If house selling and moving wasn't bad enough, the changing of admin details on all the various banks, retailers, memberships, etc., it's enough to drive me into the lunatic asylum lol I need a few days to find my brain again and all should be much easier !! I was going to say I'll never move ever again but then I have to transfer from rental eventually to the apartment and do all the updating of details again plus sorting, packing and reorganising another place - oh dear !
  • You can cope aitch, you'll be an expert by then! Lol
  • We're getting there slowly ! but what a humid night it has been (thunder storm never arrived to cool things down) and this place is like an oven, virtually south facing and cooking us on simmering heat lol Landlord is brilliant, he's been like Santa Claus bringing us in new "presents" every day and can't do enough for us to make sure we have everything we need: so far he's provided us with large new cooling fan, new extra fridge, new fancy steam iron and ironing board, new BT hub …… think we'll stay forever lol
    @ Bob, LOL, the amount of mealworms I provided at the old house would have needed a larger dish !
    thanks everyone for keeping us going with your wonderfully encouraging comments and for the laughs which have helped us through this arduous process. Going to explore outside in a minute …….. after I ring Jim back who's just texted me.       Update:   we're getting our first visitor today !     better go unpack the tea cups   lol      

• Oh Hazel, photo to die for!

The wagtail with dinner in its beak is fabulous.

I see my breakfast bowl has made it towards your new home.

I used to be able to look down on that from Bleaklow in the Peak District.

• Cheers Mike, I think Jodrell bank is so iconic and can be seen from so many places around Cheshire; I remember the fight to save it from closing a few years back due to government funding and would have hated to see it go. The dish is side on today - I think although it's raining so much I can't tell in the gloom !