All I Want For Christmas is...

OK, I hate it when people say "I want" for anything rather than "I'd like", but those are the song lyrics so I've had to make an exception :-)

We're into December now and looking out the window I can see a couple of houses are decorated already, so thoughts naturally turn to those items Santa might bring you if you've been nice enough.  One of the disadvantages of getting older is, of course, that most items are either NEEDED (so you get them immediately yourself) or are way too expensive for someone else to buy as a gift.  However, I'm sure people must have some things they've written in their letter to Santa, so share them here - it may help those of us without inspiration :-)

___

Find me on Flickr / All about your camera - The Getting off Auto Index

• Michael B said:
    which my long suffering wife could have bought for me, rather than ask the perennial question, "What would you like for Christmas?

Mrs WJ and I try to go on a spending fast towards the back end of the year JUST to try and get something on the list for family (daft as that sounds).  If not, stuff like tasty nibbles or interesting bottles are always good failsafes, something to be enjoyed then gone.  Just as long as we can avoid ornaments and nik-naks that stand around & gather dust (we've too many already and no time to dust them!)

___

Find me on Flickr / All about your camera - The Getting off Auto Index

• gaynorsl said:
    I know exactly what I would like for Xmas......A set of drums

Drums......you can't beat them.!! :-)

My bird photos HERE

• Paul!!!!!Just watch me:-):-)  I might be in my seventies but still have a little oomph or oompa pa!!    

Lot to learn

• Maybe a set of drums for the grandsons as long as they kept them at their place,reckon the daughter would disown me though !!

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• gaynorsl said:

Paul!!!!!Just watch me:-):-)  I might be in my seventies but still have a little oomph or oompa pa!!    

I never had any doubt about it.!! :-)

I actually have a bodhran drum which I play now and again and perhaps surprisingly I also have one of those small electronic drum machines (Boss DR670).

When we played in the band we would always pull the drummer’s leg. We’d tell him that the main difference between him and a drum machine is that you only had to punch the information into a drum machine once.!! :-)

My bird photos HERE

• Wow, didn't know you could get a drum machine Paul......now the neighbours would really complain if I started drumming here as I am in a semi!!!!  Apparently the group practice in local schools where they can get away with it I suppose:-)      

Lot to learn

• Paul A said:
    When we played in the band we would always pull the drummer’s leg. We’d tell him that the main difference between him and a drum machine is that you only had to punch the information into a drum machine once.!! :-)

Yes Paul drummers do get a lot of stick,when I played around folk/country club circuit it was always the banjo player that got the stick. I must admit the banjo can be pretty piercing  which is why I discounted a banjo when looking for a different instrument to learn and opted for a ukulele.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• I've just looked up the bodhran drum Paul, all new to me you see, it looks good, I just loved the rhythm and sound of it all, could be fun learning.  

Seaman the Uke is good to play and also the mandolin sounds good, I was pretty musical when growing up but sort of lost it over the years.  Finding it again is a lovely learning curve right now.

Lot to learn

• I actually recently got a Ukulele but I haven’t got around to playing around with it yet. I do have a mandolin which I enjoy messing around with. I haven’t got around to playing chords on it yet but It’s great fun for picking out melodies and tunes.

Wendy S said:
    when I played around folk/country club circuit it was always the banjo player that got the stick

This reminds me of the story about a banjo player who was on his way to a gig. On his way there he stopped at the shops and accidentally left his banjo in plain view on the back seat of his car. When he returned from the shops he found that the back window of the car had been broken and there were now three banjo’s on the back seat.!! :-)

My bird photos HERE