Hosting your own website.

Hi, If anyone is hosing there own website what programs are you using, I have just got some hosting and was wondering what others are using.

My host has these that I can use for free, or would you use something else?

WordPress
Simple Machines Forum
Joomla
Gallery
MediaWiki
OpenCart

Cheers Jim

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• Thanks, Higgy, your site looks very nice and to say you did this without any knowledge of web designing you did well.
    I have played around with front page but it can’t do anything like this.

Thanks, Johndt, I have heard a lot about wordpress but I will have to wait till tomorrow and see what this WebPlus X7 is like seeing it was free but if you wanted it it would cost about £80 so should be good.

Jim

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• Phoned Serif up this morning who’s program it is and got a Key for it, Wow this is some program, this might take me a little longer then I thought but looking at it I could put a single page up for now just to get me off the ground :)

Jim

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• Soooo, have you started your own website yet J?

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Sadly not, Wendy, I have been to busy, I have played around with the software and its very good a lot better then what I can knock up in Front Page, the thing is what style do I use and what pages to add, it’s a little to much at the moment but I keep playing around in it and learning more each day, I have in fact just come out of the program 5 mins ago.
    I have hosting here and a Domain name, just need to get the web up now :)

Holding Page

Jim

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• Well, at least you've made a start J & I'm sure ideas will start to flow before long!  I have absolutely zero experience in such ventures but can well imagine the time factor involved!  I am on nexus/laptop/desktop far too often as it is & my 'book at bedtime' has been usurped by catching up with CF, find myself going to sleep later & later ... ruining my looks!! Lol

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• WendyBartter said:

Well, at least you've made a start J & I'm sure ideas will start to flow before long!  I have absolutely zero experience in such ventures but can well imagine the time factor involved!  I am on nexus/laptop/desktop far too often as it is & my 'book at bedtime' has been usurped by catching up with CF, find myself going to sleep later & later ... ruining my looks!! Lol

Know the feeling Wendy,it is a good job some of these guys know what they are talking about otherwise old dinosaurs like me would have nothing to look at,good luck to them all.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• This is what I can do in Front Page, but the program I have now is the bee’s knees and can do lots more then FP so I will just leave this page up for now :)

If your and old dinosaur Pete, what am I at 66 :)

British Isles Wildlife.uk

EDIT

The header picture was taken from Public Hide on the 20/08/2014 with my phone.

All the best Jim

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• What amazes me most of all is that you can get a picture of that quality on your phone J!

Any more talk of being dinosaurs & I shall have to christen you Albert & Alec!!! Lol

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• You can get nice pictures from a phone these day, I never got this one for its quality of pictures which is good but is not the best but it will do for snap shots.

Ok no more Wendy, I don’t fancy Albert or Alec just call me J like you have been doing :)

Jim

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• James G said:
    If your and old dinosaur Pete, what am I at 66 :)

Nobbut a young one Jim,seriously though I like to use the computer but I'm one of the lazy beggars that never really learn how it works and sit back to enjoy the hard work of others.Like you I started on an old Zenith taking slides mainly when fell walking and climbing but got fed up of carrying the weight  when we started doing bird surveys around the Dales area. Modern cameras I  leave to Chris she has more patience than me I'll just use the compact for the grand kids.

The stuff you have done so far looks pretty good to my eyes,well done on that.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can