Bad pics of fab wildlife - part 2!

Old thread here: http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/chat/f/2542/t/22684.aspx

Because the original thread has, fittingly enough, 'gone bad', it's time for a new 'Bad pics' thread. Here, we celebrate the very worst of our wildlife photography. The subject matter is always brilliant, but the photos are very much not. If it's out of focus, chopped in half, frighteningly under- or over-exposed or terrible in some other way, it belongs here :)

Here's my first (first of many, no doubt) contribution to the new thread, a Goldcrest taken at Barnes yesterday. You need only minor incompetence to take a blurry photo, and the same to take a really under-exposed photo, but to do both in one go requires a special level of cackhandedness.

• You are secretly training them, Hazel!  You will be taking them on the road next (and leaving a few of them in various places along the way, I'd wager!)

Kind regards, Ann

• Best hope aitch doesn't visit your area then GB! Lol

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Believe me Ann, these Cyrils come ready trained, super smart and with an endurance I can only admire when not frustrated by them   lol        Maybe I'll take them out on the town street, get them to acrobatics and displays to raise money for the rspb  lol     but they may turn into artful dodgers instead  !

Regards, Hazel 

• Yes, Hazel, Like a flea circus, only of Cyrils!  When do you start your tour?!

LOL, Wendy--Hope Hazy does leave us one, since we could do with a new female here!  I have not seen the female who used to visit one of our sunflower hearts feeders for about a month.  Am starting to worry that she was caught by something.  They have a hazardous journey to get here from the large oak trees on the other side of a pond on council land in front of our house--there are some open spaces to cross between trees.  And although she was clearly nursing at least 3 separate times in the last few years, we never saw any youngsters--only one male and one female--ideal, really!  No overpopulation like Hazy has!  Something must have been raiding the nest when the female was away.  Or perhaps she died of old age.  I am still seeing the male nearly every day even though he only stays in the garden for about 10 or 15 minutes and then he is back off to the oak trees.

Kind regards, Ann

• Just tell me how many female squiggles you want and I'll pay postage first class on no return basis  lol !!   Remember next month its breeding time again and although I see a lot more male cyrils in this garden I dread to think how many youngsters will eventually join the gang ............   the only way I can get rid of the greys is to stop putting feeders out .....as even the mostly squirrel proof ones will still encourage them to jump and cling on to them even though they can't get to the food.   The free standing feeder poles work best with the baffle domes as they can't climb up to or on the feeders but even those still encourage the squiggles to sit underneath in the hope of falling crumbs  !    there just isn't a perfect way unless I stop the bird feeders altogether and forever :(         The Oaks have deep gouges in the bark from their constant chewing and we have therefore tried to put the bird boxes up over the damaged part of the bark so no more stress is caused to the trees.    I still wish the squirrels had a natural predator to balance things up somewhat.  

Regards, Hazel 

• more bad pics through the window as I quickly tried to get the female Goldcrest bathing on top tier of waterfall area ...... I don't even mind the bad pics of this  lol   such a sweetie :)

Regards, Hazel 

• I settle for any photo of a Goldcrest in my garden. Very cute little guy enjoying his morning ablutions.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Lovely shots of the Goldcrest, Hazel--even if you think they belong here!  So sweet to see one enjoying a bath.  Haven't seen ours in a few days--hope it is still around.

Anyone else having the problem of threads dropping off your 'notifications' button on the upper right of the home page?  This is at least the 3rd time it has happened and I've found 3 threads so far tonight which have not shown up on my 'notifications' and I have not finished looking!

Kind regards, Ann

• Thanks Tony and Ann,  athough this Goldcrest is around they rarely show themselves but it does like a bath now and again and I just happened to be looking out of the window when it did, thank goodness but hope for better shots next time  !

Regards, Hazel 

• Nice captures Hazy, these little birds are hard to get they never stay still in the tree tops, got this one on the move last year at LM.

Jim

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group