This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Roseanna Cunningham: Political Advocate of the Year 2019

I see that Ms Cunningham has been awarded Political Advocate of the Year for 2019. Can I ask: how?  Who voted for her?

As far as I can see her advocacy is promotional for the shooting industry: the "Gift of Grouse".  You know, those people who are slaughtering mountain hares to remove food for birds of prey; those people that protected raptors immediately go missing every time they fly near one of their estates.

From where I am sitting she has dragged her feet over Werrity, one nothing much to stop wildlife crime and done nothing to advocate for nature. You should have given the award to Andy Wightman or someone who actually deserves it!

Apparently she likes beavers!

• I don’t really want to comment on this. But the RSPB is supposed to be non-political and i don’t think a political post should have been posted on this forum, particular during the present general election campaign that is taken place at this present time.
  • The RSPB might be politically neutral but conservation isn't. Who has taken the UK government to the European court over its failure to protect upland peat bogs? Is that an apolitical act?

The only Party that benefits from your supine position is the present incumbent. Tell your non-political position to the thousands of dead badgers, the thousands of illegally killed foxes, the persecuted birds of prey, the sacrificial Corvids, the invertebrates and slow moving vertebrates burned to death on heather moorland, the farmers going out of business as farmgate prices plummet, the burden on our native wildlife from the tonnes of non-native species released every August and the tonnes of toxic lead released into the countryside every year.

Conservation IS political!
  • This forum is the wrong place to post your own political views on this forum, but especially not now at this present time, with a general election campaign taken place right now. I’m a member of a political party myself, but I don’t post my political views on this forum at any time. This is not the place to do that!
  • I disagree and my opinion is as valid as yours so, respectfully, go away and interact on posts you agree with.

Your position is noted, so you don't need to labour the point. Goodbye.
  • So don't discuss it! Or are you both into censorship of opinions you don't like? You give no valid reasons for not posting a political viewpoint on here.

If it was a problem for the moderators they would have removed it.
  • What you are not doing is discussing the issues raised, but trying to prevent discussion. I guess we can infer your politics from that, although why someone living in the Gironde should be bothered about UK politics and its impact on our wildlife and environment is beyond me: you have already voted with your feet.
  • Again I will say, this is not the place to discuss this!
  • It’s not just me, that thinks that you shouldn’t post political posts, particularly at this very moment. There are other places where you can discuss politics.

• I have also reported this persons post as well. I wasn’t going to mention I had reported him. I found his posts disrespectful as well and I hope they intervene as well. I don’t often report any posts, unless they are spam, but in this case I’m afraid I have.
  • I make the point again: there is no reason not to post political issues that affect conservation on this community. If it offends your sensibilities then stop reading it. The moderators have clearly decided there is nothing wrong with the post.

You are just trying to impose your distaste for the topic on everyone else.

You find my comments "disrespectful": why should I respect anyone who is trying to censor my opinions? I find your constant criticism unnecessary and disrespectful, the difference is that I will respond in kind and not go running to the moderators to impose censorship