Anagrams et al

Tried to put a few quick anagram clues together plus a couple of cryptic clues for you to answer.        Only rule is that you can't (or rather shouldn't) use an anagram solver of any sort to help   LOL

The words in italics are the letters to be reshuffled to name a bird which can be  from anywhere around the world !  

1)       Would be such a laugh to see this bird perched on our oak bark     (10)

2)       Cat filched prey ?    (4, 10)

3)       Bollyood script:    Cue drunkard in Inn   (6, 6, 4)

4)       Nice to see this cold place west    (10, 3)

5)       teenager welding  goes quackers    (5, 6, 4)

6)      These canine parts make up a sea-bird  7, 4)

7)       Americans call it an  Apple hoarder    (3, 9)

8)      Dear Sweetheart   …..(6, 8)

and the non-anagrams but purely cryptic clues .................

9)      Pretty certain ? that someone is playing a prank   (5, 4)

10)   Type of bread from Manila ?    (10, 5)

• Tony gets to the line first with all 10 correct; 

I think Gardenbirder's OH may have got there first but it's not really a competition.

• joint winners - well done Mr GB and Tony

• TJ,  Mr GB suggests you visit the Hawk Conservancy Trust where you can see an example of number 4--called Galaxy! 

• TJ,  Mr GB will try to remember to take a photo of Galaxy when he is there on Wednesday.

• Ok,  has everyone had enough time to work out the answers ?      I will post up answers (which some of you have already worked out)  later this evening.   

• Thanks Ann, it's somewhere I've  wanted to visit. Perhaps in the summer when I visit my cousin on the otherside of the Severn.

EDIT I've just realised you were talking about the Hawk Conservatory Trust near Andover. I was thinking of the International Centre for Birds of Prey at Newent in Glos. Doh

• OK here we go with the answers;  thanks to all who participated and well done to those who managed to complete the quiz correctly,  methinks I'll have to be more cryptic for the next one !       

1) Kookaburra

2) Pied Flycatcher

3) Indian Runner Duck

4) Spectacled Owl

5) Green winged Teal

6) Caspian Tern

7) Red Phalarope

8) Desert Wheatear

9) Shore Lark

10) Philippine Pitta

• Thanks for a great quiz Hazy!

• Been out to dinner and just came home.  I agree, Thanks, Hazel for a lovely quiz.

TJ, That is the one I meant, near Andover.  Mr GB volunteers there 2 days a week.  Also, we've been visiting the Newent site for decades and will be going there again in late May.  They are very different places but both are great in that both are very entertaining, both educate the general public about birds of prey, both breed endangered birds of prey and both are involved in conservation projects, at the moment particularly in support of Vultures.  You probably know that most species of Vultures have experienced huge drops in numbers, mainly due to the actions of humans.  The HCT put over £900,000 toward conservation efforts last year.  The hospital at the HCT takes in about 200 birds of prey per year from the public, some actually injured, some uninjured young birds picked up by folk not aware of bird behaviour.  For instance, the fact that young Tawny Owls tend to fall out of their nests or from a branch but are completely capable of climbing back up a tree. 

• Bob, We do love both centres.  The last time we were visiting the ICBP in late May or early June last year, Jemima had a part in all of the flying displays during the day.  She is fabulously entertaining so we felt very lucky to go on a day when she was free to participate.  And I'll never forget last March going to the HCT's 'Owls by Moonlight' when we had no moonlight at all because it was snowing heavily.  To watch their female Snowy Owl powerfully flying through huge, fluffy, falling snowflakes, totally unconcerned, was just fantastic.  She also galumphed after her trainer through 2 inches of snow to illustrate that the Trust train their Owls to follow them before they can fly.  Watching her huge feathered feet bouncing through the snow was both beautiful and hysterically funny.  What a star she is!