Guess the Birdie (just for fun)

Looks like he's hiding and maybe holding his breath.!!

My bird photos HERE

• Purple sandpiper?

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• In reply to Clare:

Redshank or Ruff

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• In reply to Seaman:

Sandpiper, maybe the Pectoral?

Lot to learn

• In reply to gaynorsl:

Like Clare I'll go for Purple Sandpiper

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• In reply to TeeJay:

Certainly not the Velvet Scoter at Musselburgh

My Flickr photos

• In reply to Alan.:

I'm going with Purple Sandpiper too

Regards, Hazel 

My Flickr. photo  link HERE 

• In reply to HAZY:

I have no idea, but wanted to join in!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• In reply to Alan.:

Well done to the Purple Sandpiper camp. I had been sitting on the rocks for around ten minutes when I glanced down to see this bird foraging around the edge.

His wee pal was having a nap close by, opening his eye occasionally to make sure that I wasnt causing any trouble.

Alan W said:
    Certainly not the Velvet Scoter at Musselburgh

Nope. I did pass by Musselburgh yesterday but I wanted to beat the rush hour traffic so I didn't drop in for a look. I think it's a White-winged Scoter but I've found that generally if I go looking for something specific I never see it. If I get the chance I may drop in for a scan, but I'm not overly hopeful. :-)

My bird photos HERE

• In reply to Paul A:

Paul A said:
    I think it's a White-winged Scoter

Could well be Paul looking at these photos..but as per normal I'm in the dark.

https://twitter.com/GarrityPete/status/1049028430447239168

My Flickr photos

• In reply to Alan.:

You would be reasonably unlucky not to see a Velvet Scoter from the sea wall at Musselburgh (and they also have white wing patches).!!

The Velvet’s seem to be far more common here than the Common Scoter. I suspect that I would have some difficulty picking out a White-winged Scoter unless it was reasonably close in (and in among the Velvets). I believe the bill shape and eye markings can be a good indicator.

Mostly the Scoters seem to stay quite far out (whenever I’m there) but I was lucky enough to grab a shot of a Common Scoter from the Aberlay area a while back. :-)

My bird photos HERE