Counting Cranes

We had over 3000 cranes fly over the house or nearby yesterday. They were coming in waves from abour 4h00 to 5h30 in the afternoon so I photographed them all & then counted them afterwards. It's a lot easier than guesstimates. So I thought, that would make a good quiz. NO CHEATING! You have to look at the photo for about 10 seconds & then write down how many you think there are. Answers later, unless you want to do what I did & count them on the screen, in which case don't pass on your results!!

16h31 Quite a long way off

16h32

16h38-1

16h38-2

16h39

16h39

16h40

16h45

16h50

16h52

17h23

17h53 it's getting dark now

& an easy one, flying smack overhead, a lot of them came overhead but I had to wait until they were going away to get them all in the viewfinder!

Have fun, it's good practice for the real thing!

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• I agree with Wendy DO, fantastic news. I think I read somewhere that the last natural Cranes up here in Scotland were recorded back in medieval times. It would be wonderful to see them returning.

My bird photos HERE

• WendyBartter said:
    Lots & Lots & Lots

I think perhaps your Goose count is a wee bit closer than Hazel's, Wendy (sorry Hazel). I tried it myself and came up with around 650 but when I actually counted them on the photograph I got 1079.!! I'd also be interseted to know (if you read this Edgebander), why count in 8's as opposed to 10's?

My bird photos HERE

• That's why I take photos of the migrating cranes, useless at counting! Maybe I counted the heads & divided by 2 LOL When we go out with the ONCFS counting stone curlews, I go out with one of the Guys to make them fly & Ron stands & does the counts!

Best wishes

• Do you use a Tally Counter Hazel? Here. I count 10 birds in large flocks then one click for every guessed multiple thereafter. For example, 27 clicks = 270 birds.

My bird photos HERE

• Paul A said:
    why count in 8's as opposed to 10's?

I don`t get large flocks as a rule & can only visually `grasp`8 at a time.By the way,its raining here at the mo.Stuck indoors.Am practising chopin etude(Butterfly). In groups of 8 bars -as is usually done.. Am absolutely miles out in every block/group/total. :-(    I`ll maybe change to visualising groups of 10 when the Waxwings come this year.  :-)

• WOW, now counting Waxwings is something I could get used to!

Best wishes

• Amazing photo Edge, I would love to see one Waxwing let along dozens in one place  lol      What was on telly at the time ?  perhaps I can switch the program over to attract them  !

Regards, Hazel 

• edgebander said:
    In groups of 8 bars -as is usually done

That had never occurred to me .... seems so obvious now. I also agree with everyone else, love the Waxwing's and would love to see one.

My bird photos HERE

• Devonotter, Thanks ever so much for posting the Crane photos!  I had heard about the two Somerset Levels juveniles but had not seen any photos of them.  You may know that several Cranes which had been raised at Slimbridge in their Crane School (and which were released on the Levels) returned to Slimbridge WWT in the last few years, much to the initial surprise and delight of the staff and visitors there.  One pair hatched two chicks last year but sadly the chicks were predated.  However this year one pair nesting there hatched and fledged a chick, so that is 3 chicks born in the UK in very many years!

EdgeB, When and where did you see all those Waxwings?!  Lucky you!

Kind regards, Ann

• Thanks guys for your interest in the Somerset Crane Project, the guys up there have done a brilliant job watching and protecting this group of birds.

Waxwings what birds they are....2011 and 2012/13 we had them in Exmouth. Both winters were very cold with a lot of snow on the Continent pushing the birds over to us. then snow and lack of food up north so they came down south, Awesome. Could believe my luck, Berries outside Exmouth Swimming pool and on a roadside hedgerow in Exmouth.  If you hear there near you go find them, they are beautiful and exotic birds. The bottom bird was 5 ft away from me  

Regards

Derek