We made a mistake! We took our dog into Burton Mere!

It was a perfect storm really and we managed to find all 'les trous dans les fromage'.

Sundays are exploitative excursions with my anxious neurodivergent daughter, including my visually impaired and somewhat deaf 14 year old terrier. Having recently moved to the area we headed out with a flask of herbal tea. We drove to the timeless village of Shotwick, stopping to collect some fallen branches for natural crafts, taking photographs of fungi for later identification. Eventually passing through the surrounding fields of Puddinton and on through the beautiful village of Burton. 

The slow drive into Burton Mere is encapsulated with woodland, with the car windows drawn down we listened to a Backbird and Robin song.

Upon arrival at the car park, my daughter jumps out of the car and runs to the loo. Eager to reach her, I pop the lead on my pooch and head to meet her. She is wary of strangers especially men. We rejoin outside the welcome centre which is unfortunately and surprisingly closed. 

We head along to the right and follow the board walk. We examine and photograph more fungi, tree lichen, grasees and diseased leaves. The hide was not particularly fruitful, so on we walked on enjoying the light cool breeze. We pass many visors and at the next hide a chap in all kaki outdoor attire arrives and then informs us that dogs are not allowed. I am mortally embarrased and briefly explain that I didn't know. So, I  thought ' what do I do now?' Almost, stuck to the spot. Do I carry my dog back to car? I try to remain calm for my daughters sake. More people arrive. A women with dark hair announces ' dogs are not allowed'. I state we have been informed. She presses on. Dogs are not allowed. I explained again, that I didn't know. Had I known we would not have brought him. We already here and I can't change the fact. I try to remain calm and quiet so as not to disturb the other patrons and birds. Teal, widgeon and possibly shelduck? The birds seemigly ignoring the presence of humans and my dog hidden behind the screen.The women states she is a vet and that dogs upset the biodiversity of the area. Asking is my dog de-fleed? She states there are multiple signs. Her manner is dripping in disgust and clearly thinks I have blatantly ignored the rules of the reserve. My presence escalating her behaviour. 

I retreat. My daughter following and to my surprise comments how rude she is when passing. I hate confrontation.  Myself and my daughter are somewhat shocked. I soothe and try to make light of the situation. I am wondering how many ' no dog' signs we have passed? How many people did we pass and no-one said anything to us. I wonder what I have I done to the biodiversity of the reserve? 

On return to the car park  we look for the signs. The board at the entrance has a very small sectio 'General Information' section to the bottom left stating no dogs to avoid disturbing wildlife. There is another small but slightly more obvious sign at the entrance to a walk at the back of the car park. Neither have a pictorial. In fact the main board is completely lacking in pictorials for those who are can't read or have a learning difficulty. 

So what do I take away from this experience? 

1) To RSPB, please use obvious pictorials for visitors who struggle to read or can't read. A simple image of a dog with a cross at the threshold would not have been so easily missed. 

2) To the lady vet. Disabilities are hidden. You caused distress unnecessarily. You were rude and judgemental. No matter what you know or how justified you felt your behaviour or points were not proportionate. 

3) To myself. Forgive yourself for getting it wrong. Dog was on a lead and well behaved. You normally read every board going ( somewhat slowly). In this case you put needs of daughter first. We love and do everything to support nature and would not knowingly do anything to cause damage. 

4) Read article Dogs, Access and Nature Conservation. Very interesting points. 

Thanks for reading!