Secret reserves categorisation

Any one got any thoughts on the RSPB’s central management decision to categorise all their woodland reserves as Category 4…Of no value to the RSPB strategy… and is mothballing (at best) or SELLING  (at worst) despite the fact that woodland has, as a resource for nature, been identified as poorly managed nationally and, since the 1970s 70 to 80 percent of the birds living in woodland have been lost to us? A free thoughts come to mind for discussion: 1. RSPB management have forgotten what they are about, 2. Birding ids much more difficult, and therefore not as profitable as it is in Category 1 and 2 reserves… Wetland, Estuarine, Cliff

• Thanks for that clarification of what Category 4 means, Andrew. Is it right that Abernethy is on this list? Also is Category 4 the lowest or are there Categories 5 and 6? My nearest reserves are Tetney Marshes, Frampton Marsh and Blacktoft Sands. Have they been categorised? I acknowledge that reserve staff should be first to know of management plans, then volunteers, but I also agree with you that the rank-and-file membership should be kept up to speed because they might be able to provide positive suggestions and advice. They might even be able to point the way to sponsorship by individuals or businesses. Thank you for keeping the thread alive.  

• Thomo - I did read Mark Avery's blog.

Likewise, I had read Mark's blog, mentioned in another posting elsewhere.

• Hey Jim...First I am quite surprised that this chat is still live because I have been told that the central RSPB management are not happy about its content and want it to be closed. I was asked to close it myself, but I could not work out how to do it so I passed it back to them!! It will be interesting to see how long it takes them to close the chat down...I guess they will get round to it soon but they are obviously not that bothered!!. In the meantime I will continue to pass information along if asked: Category 4 is indeed the lowest category...basically category 4 reserves have been categorised as being of no value to the RSPB in two categories: Ecological value (species diversity/target species value etc) and Visitor Management (is there a visitor centre/are there lots of visitors recorded). Tetney Marches is categorised as 2 for Ecological value and 4 for Visitor Management; Blackfoot Sands is Category 1 for Ecology and Category 4 for Visitor Management; Frampton Marshes is categorised as 1 for Ecology and 3 for Visitor Management. Soo all your local reserves are probably safe because they have high Ecological Value (or at least one hopes that the new corporate RSPB recognises the importance of Ecology over the number of visitors to reserves).

• I am not sure that listening to Mark Avery is actually more reliable than being on the ground talking with the people who are actually working these reserves and have given many hours of their lives for nothing to these reserves and the paid Assistant Wardens  whose jobs are under threat. But that is just me