Secret reserves categorisation

Any one got any thoughts on the RSPB’s central management decision to categorise all their woodland reserves as Category 4…Of no value to the RSPB strategy… and is mothballing (at best) or SELLING  (at worst) despite the fact that woodland has, as a resource for nature, been identified as poorly managed nationally and, since the 1970s 70 to 80 percent of the birds living in woodland have been lost to us? A free thoughts come to mind for discussion: 1. RSPB management have forgotten what they are about, 2. Birding ids much more difficult, and therefore not as profitable as it is in Category 1 and 2 reserves… Wetland, Estuarine, Cliff

• They are currently in the process of sacking many of he assistant wardens, not sure of he actual number but he majority of assistant wardens are affected either by losing their jobs completely or having their hours cut, making the job untenable. In effect the entry level to conservation is being wiped out. Not a single manager, at any level, has lost their job. Throughout the process the top management has done no consultation with anybody until after the decisions were made; the whole process has been kept secret from he membership….hence his post.

• With the AGM of the RSPB in less than 2 weeks any RSPB member who does  not normally register for the online AGM who  is  cconcerned about this and concerned should register and ask questions about  this. That is what the AGM is for. This has been building up to this for at least the last 5 with some redundancies.  The National  Trust when they had to make redundancies where open  about this and members did have a chance to put questions to the  council of the National Trust.

Regards,

Ian.

• Have managed to get access to the full document.  I will comment(s) at the AGM. But again for any members who have an interest or concerns about this should register for the the online RSPB AGM which takes very soon Mark Avery made some fare comments about the RSPB’s AGM in recent years. You never know how many members of the RSPB’s council are at the RSPB’s online AGM. In my opinion it should be a combined online and also audience in person AGM. The National Trust’s AGM does exactly that. The National Trust’s AGM is being held in Newcastle Upon Tyne this year in early November of which I’ve registered to attend in person.

Regards,

Ian.

• Hello Andrew,

There's so much I want to say, but time won't facilitate, and I don't expect anyone to fully grasp my meaning.

There’s a lot of finger pointing going on as powerful organisations get on to the AI gravy train, and dispense with real jobs.

More so than ever before, today it’s all about money, not nature or the people, so there is nothing that surprises me in the document, though the pain it will cause is only going to increase, something I'm already seeing local to my area.

I note some of the educational links to local schools and communities, the open gateways to early and long-term understanding of nature are to be negatively impacted, another example of the more struggling communities becoming abandoned. One of those reserves I know well, and engages very proactively with the local community, and I’m sure the others no less so.

The community and nature setbacks will be huge and long-lasting.

Repairable?

I doubt it.

• Sadly the RSPB management have demanded that I break this link as they do not want any RSPB members to see this document. I would recommend that you email the RSPB and demand to see a copy of this document, it is called "Reserves Categorisation Executive Summary". You are members and have a right to see this document because it is your subscriptions that are being abused by these corporate managers who have forgotten why they are "leading" the RSPB. Interestingly their published accounts show no shortfall in funding for 2024, so why go through this deceitful process of getting shot of so many Assistant Wardens, and "mothballing" or "disposing of" pretty well all their woodland reserves.

• Given the RSPB's  stated commitment to transparency, I think there should be more clarity about this. Credit to Andrew for blowing the whistle. Unfortunately, I couldn't open the link. Perhaps it has been taken down. Is there any other option for viewing the RCE summary?

• Sorry Jim… i was told, through the manager of the reserve where i volunteer,  that he had been told by RSPB management that i was to remove the link as it was a private internal document that they did not want anybody outside rspb employees and active volunteers to see. My suggestion is that you contact the RSPB and ask (demand) a copy because it is a very depressing document, especially if you care about woodland birds… which the RSPB regard of lowest importance.

• Thanks Andrew. Likewise, I love woodland birds, and would be immensely sad to see any moves by RSPB to downgrade their status. Unfortunately, there's no chance of the society letting me, as an ordinary member, have sight of the document. Can you give any alternative pointers/clues? I wasn't able to Zoom into the AGM last Saturday. Did the chief executive give any insights? Also, what is meant by Category 4 - is there a formal definition?