Crow question

Hi folks, a bit of a morbid one, but a small group of crows are attacking and killing the small birds visiting my feeders.  I think maybe my nextdoor neighbours put out fat balls, which brings the crows, but they then take the opportunity to kill the finches.  It is very distressing, that's 2 days in a row they have killed a goldfinch!  Someone said to bang two pieces of wood together to frighten the crows away, as it's like a gun shot. So I can try this, as I went out to try and scare the crow away but it was horrible to see them devouring the small bird, they just go up high and aren't scared of me.   I'm not sure what to do... it is very sad to see them take down a small garden bird! Any advice much appreciated...

• First, nature can be harsh, and often not pleasant to see. It is natures way of keeping the balance.

Second, crows are carrion birds, like magpies, rooks, ravens, and like many more, will feed on garden birds. Add  to that very long list of  predators/hunters, you have your birds of prey, sparrowhawks, buzzards, kestrels and a great many more hunting to eat.

Even the chirpy cheeky robin, and blackbirds, are hunters, they take insects, grubs and worms to feed on.

Third, it is sad, but that is nature and nature needs to be left to its own devices.

One final point, though these birds, along with a great many other animals and fish etc hunt for their food, it isn't an excuse for us to be threatening, nor cruel.

• Thanks Mike, that makes (patronizing) sense.  I've decided to stop feeding the birds for a time in the hope that the crows go elsewhere.  I feel my feeding them is allowing the small birds to be attacked as they are easy targets while using the feeders.  The crows have come every day to try and kill a bird or two.  I wondered if using a scarecrow might help.   Please understand, I don't want to be threatening or cruel, and I don't see the crows being in the least bit bothered by anything I do, but I don't want to facilitate them killing small birds by continuing to feed.  Are farmers cruel for scaring crows from their crops? Just wondering...