Sparrow overload.

First time of forum use and really I only have one question,  is approximately 100 sparrows in our hedge unusual ?

• Depends how big your hedge is I guess :o)

We've just had an influx of more recently fledged sparrows, up to maybe 20 from  8 or so previously. I expect them to disperse shortly, as they usually do. We're in a semi built up area, so if you're in a more rural location with good food supply I don't think 100 would be beyond the realms of possibility

• Not that big a hedge but does have a  bay tree annex  nicknamed the quarrel tree we are very rural next to a mixed farm  , this colony has grown over the years to the exclusion of any other small birds bar Robins They are well fed with water available and don't seem to disperse anywhere why would they when living in sparrow heaven? 

tried to load a video to give an idea but didn't work .

• Localised and seasonal abundance.

After coming close to a year in my new home I am counting blue tits and great tits in single digits (and that is in the total period of time, not daily). Robins? Nope, not seen a single one in that time. I've seen one or two blackbirds in the vicinity.

Spadger count (daily) now down to zero. I reached a count of 3 or maybe four. Goldfinch and greenfinch are the daily regulars. I suspect they've modified their foraging routes. I've a single tube feeder with sunflower hearts. It took a breeding season before they turned up. Blue and great tits will take sunflower hearts all year round, but they've not appeared/materialised.

The woodpidgeons (the other regulars) clean up spillages from the tube feeder, and also graze on the (white) clover foliage. Now into 'no-mow August' (on top of July, June, May, April, March). The grass here would require a total excavation to turn it into what some might consider a lawn. (topsoil is compacted dense silt interspersed  with clay, subsoil is dense clay)