Young birder

My teen daughter has a keen interest in birds so we got her a membership for her bday. We’re London based so looks like nearest reserve to us is Rainham Marshes so wanted to plan a day trip there over the summer hols. I’m clueless about what to do/exoect/take for a day trip as it’s not my thing but I want to encourage her. Please advise, thanks :) 

• I don't know the area at all and the forum/blog is basically inactive on this site - this is their website https://www.rspb.org.uk/days-out/reserves/rainham-marshes and they do have a Facebook site https://www.facebook.com/RSPBRainham  they do have facilities which is always a bonus.  Some sites do have optics for loan but I can't work out if they do at Rainham.  August isn't always the best time for birding but there should be hopefully dragonflies and butterflies to distract.  Take your time, don't route march it, in hides low voices and no eating and if you see someone stopped and obviously looking at something don't be afraid to quietly ask - most watchers of wildlife are happy to share 

Cin J

• Hi I suppose the first thing is patience, take your time when walking around the reserve and keep your eyes open for wildlife, one tip I would give you is to purchase a bird book so the birds you see the book shall help with Identification. A pair of binoculars is useful to see them up close. You will probably see a few people with long lens cameras do not be afraid to ask them if they have seen anything Interesting and where did they see it, you could be lucky and whatever they have seen it may still be there. I do not know the reserve you mention, but a lot of reserves have bird hides and usually these are the places where you are likely to see the various birds. Another tip is when you enter a hide try to be quiet when entering the hide as you don’t want to disturb the wildlife. You may be lucky and see a kingfisher. If you have a garden providing a bird feeder is another way of seeing birds and observing your garden birds at close range from your window  Would give you pleasure I am sure. The best time to see birds is early morning, once you start feeding the birds it may take a couple of weeks before you see them, again have some patience they shall visit eventually. Birds need water a bird bath is another way of attracting birds into the garden and it’s fun watching them having a bath. For myself I love to photograph them and another tip is if you buy a camera you will need a good lens and before you purchase consider the second hand market there are some good companies out there but ask around before you buy and do your research before you buy and ask others who they have bought from. I hope this info is of help.