Abandoned nest

hi, I found a nest in an outbuilding about 5 weeks ago. Its got 3 eggs in which I think are robin eggs, I have robins at my window feeder but when they get food they seem to head in the opposite direction to the nest. I dont think they have been back to this nest, I put feed nearby that hasn't been touched and this morning saw what I think was a robin chick on the fence near the feeder they use.

I'm not sure what to do with the abandoned nest, do i just leave and then what if they do not return?

Thanks

Michelle 

• Hi Michelle, Robins can lay up to six eggs in a clutch but they do not always all hatch, maybe the young one  you saw was a successful hatch from this nest which you should leave alone and watch from a distance, in any case not clean out until after nesting season ends, around September time!  Robins do not generally reuse nests but can build new ones near to where they have previously had success!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Many thanks, I have left it alone. We will see what happens, I'm just glad I still see them coming to my window box.

Thanks

• Hi Michelle,

It sounds like you're in a bit of a predicament with the abandoned nest and eggs. It's possible that the parent robins may have abandoned the nest for some reason, although it's not uncommon for birds to abandon nests for various reasons, including disturbance, predation, or unsuitable conditions.

If the parent robins haven't returned to the nest for several weeks and it seems unlikely that they will come back, it may be best to leave the nest undisturbed. In some cases, other bird species may use abandoned nests for their own nesting purposes.

However, if you're concerned about the welfare of any potential hatchlings, you could monitor the nest from a distance to see if the parent robins return or if any other bird species show interest in the nest. If there are no signs of activity after a reasonable period of time, you may consider carefully removing the nest and eggs to prevent any potential health hazards or disturbances.

Ultimately, it's essential to respect wildlife and their natural behaviors while also considering their welfare. If you're uncertain about what to do, you could reach out to local wildlife authorities or bird experts for advice tailored to your specific situation.

I hope this helps, and best of luck with the nest!