Help needed

Hiya, sorry to bother you'se, what it is, I live in a small street, and wee currently have rats, have done for the past 4 years, I've been feeding the birds for the past year and half, and may I add my garden is the only garden that doesn't have rats! Let me tell you a wee bit about the situation in my street before go any further, when these houses where built, they we're designed with a bin shed for 6 bins, that's one bin per household, theirs 6 people in a block, and 5 blocks, wee now have 19 bins per close, so as you can imagine, it's like bin city in our street, all the bins are chewed through, excluding the ones in my close, all my feeders are pest proof, and they hang from one of the new pole designs, and not once have i saw a rat in my garden! But now the council are saying it's all my fault, and i have to remove them! I've had the man from pest control, assure me it's not my feeders, it's because of the bin situation, and the council need to address that, but instead their passing the buck to me, which I'm so angry and upset about, as its the only thing that calms me down with my mental health! I feed about 50 birds a day, I have a few pigeons that pick any fallen food up, I have started bringing my feeders in at night, any advice would be greatfully appreciated