Distressing dog incident at Bempton Cliffs reserve in Yorkshire

The RSPB is sticking to its policy of encouraging dogs at  its seabird nature reserve at Bempton on the Yorkshire Coast despite the distressing incident on Easter Sunday when one plunged 100 metres from a cliff with fatal consequences.

The Wryneck

It says they are welcome on both the footpaths and within the visitor centre.

However, there is a proviso that they "must be kept on short leads".

The trouble is that this cannot be enforced, and there have been similar incidents in previous years.

My own view is that dogs should be discouraged at this reserve because of the risk of a recurrence of such events, especially if off-the-lead dogs chase the puffins.

• Sadly there’s nothing the RSPB can do about this. It’s a public footpath and actually the RSPB should not charge non-members access to that footpath. It’s the same at lTitchwrll Marsh in Norfolk. No one has to pay an admission charge at Titchwrll Marsh. Public Footpath from the entrance down through the reserve to the beach, but charge non-members an admission charge which legally non-members don’t have to pay an admission charge and can legally take dogs down that footpath through the reserve and down to the beach. The National Trust got into difficulty at one property in Northern Ireland and there was going to be a legal challenge and the National Trust had to accept defeat. There used to be a car park charge for non-members at both those 2 RSPB reserves which was a better way of getting money for those 2 RSPB reserves  but then the RSPB started charging an admission fee per person who wasn’t an RSPB member. But non-members legally don’t  have to pay any admission charges at those 2 RSPB reserves plus dogs can be legally be taken  on leads on those 2 public footpaths. When I was last at Titchwrll Marsh 2 years ago nothing about that mentioned anywhere on any signs at Titchwrll Marsh. I hope that has changed.You can check this if you want. But this is true fact! If anyone who had the finance to make a legal challenge  against  the RSPB over this would have a good chance of success. The National Trust knew they would most likely lose any challenge against them over a similar situation. I have criticised the RSPB many times. But over this I can’t blame the RSPB as it’s a public footpath. In one way I I can blame the RSPB as nothing is mentioned about this from 2 years ago. I believe staff at Bempton do mention to non-members that they don’t have to pay. Whether that’s true now or not. I don’t know!

Regards,

Ian.

• Thank you, Thomo. That's very enlightening. 

Do you know if the situation is the same at RSPB Abernethy/ Loch Garten or if all the paths at this reserve are in the ownership of the RSPB? 

• I believe staff at Bempton do mention to non-members that they don’t have to pay. Whether that’s true now or not. I don’t know!

They have never mentioned it to me. 

• It is the second largest RSPB reserve in the UK. Also how many know this but large parts of the Abernethy reserve goes in to the Cairngorms including the second highest mountain in the UK Ben Macdui. All of the footpaths or practically all are public footpath except the footpath. to  the visitor centrentre/hide to see the Ospreys at there nest where there is an admission charge for non-members.

Regards,

Ian.

• Perhaps non-members have to pay to go into the visitor centre, but not to use the footpaths which presumably can be accessed by other means - eg from Flamborough car park. I imagine most contributors to RSPB Community are society members, so the question doesn't generally arise.

But I've never felt a designated bird reserve is a place for dogs whether on a lead or not.

I am generally quite fond of them (if they're not too loud, powerful and aggressive), but I know they make some birders (and young children) uncomfortable.

There's always the chance of a mishap and I'm pretty sure the birds would prefer the animals to be elsewhere.

• Perhaps non-members have to pay to go into the visitor centre, but not to use the footpaths which presumably can be accessed by other means - eg from Flamborough car park. I imagine most contributors to RSPB Community are society members, so the question doesn't generally arise.

But I've never felt a designated bird reserve is a place for dogs whether on a lead or not.

I am generally quite fond of them (if they're not too loud, powerful and aggressive), but I know they make some birders (and young children) uncomfortable.

There's always the chance of a mishap and I'm pretty sure the birds would prefer the animals to be elsewhere.

Ideally during the summer when there are ground nesting birds as well as lots of human visitors, dogs should always be on a close lead and these incidents would not happen. I would rather not see dogs on the reserve but as stated there are public footpaths but at least the country code should be followed.

• And of course registered guide dogs are allowed on to bird reserves including bird hides as well as visitor centres with cafe’s and shops. I’ve seen a small number of registered guide dogs in hides and with no problems at all

Regards,

Ian.

• Again a public footpath means exactly that. Sometimes for exceptional reasons public footpaths can be closed for short periods by the local authority or applying to the local authority by the owners of the land to do that. Also on very rare occasions the government of the day can close public footpaths for longer periods such as when the last foot and mouth epidemic happened, which affected farm livestock all over the UK. But normally a public footpath means exactly that a public footpath, where the public have access including dogs. There is no law in general saying dogs must be on leads on public footpath. But any dogs that do any damage to wildlife, then legal action can be taken. Also if any dogs starts attacking farmers livestock such as sheep, cows etc, any farm owner  can legally take action against any dogs not on leads and can shoot and kill those dogs if proven afterwards that, that did happen to there livestock There are a number of other RSPB reserves with public footpaths as well on RSPB reserves. Not a large number! But there are some. The law about footpaths in Scotland is different to the rest of the UK!

Regards,

Ian.

• In a way, Bempton is a special case.

If there is an incident such as the one on Easter Sunday, the likelihood is that rescue services such as the RNLI will be called out - at expense of time and money.  

Not only that but human lives may be put at risk  in retrieving fallen dogs.

• I though I should mention this about RSPB reserves after mentioning that Abernethy was the second largest RSPB reserve in the UK. The largest RSPB reserve at present in hectares/acres is Fosinard in the counties of Sutherland and Caithness in the far north of mainland Scotland and is in the flow country.

https://youtu.be/EwchVWp6trw?si=3RZvo7Jfm_nTMSKG

The link above a 26 minute film about the Flow Country in Sutherland and Caithness. At present Fosinard is the largest RSPB reserve in the UK. But by 2030 RSPB reserve  Ouse Fen in Cambridgeshire might become the largest RSPB reserve. But I’m not sure if that’s the case. This is an area I would love to visit. But very remote in Sutherland and Caithness.

https://youtu.be/WXvHAsvr6qw?si=8qsbYSO1d-F0vNi0

The above link is a 13 minute independent made film in 2023 about the Flow Country in Cautness and Sutherland.

Regards,

Ian.