Big Garden Birdwatch

So, I've just completed the BGB and have a list of birds I have seen with my own eyes. I also have a shorter list of birds that my Merlin App has positively identified. To date, I have found the Merlin app very reliable, at least to the degree I can judge, but do "hearings" not count in the RSPB BGB, only "sightings"?  Thanks

• Sightings only. Although humans are prone to error, APPs are too.

Out of interest, what species were 'heard' by the APP but not seen?
  • Just to add, the biggest reasons for taking part in BGBW are, 'participation' and 'raising awareness and funds'. There are other important reasons for its existence and continuation, incl data collection of bird sightings. However, it is important to note that once received, the data is 'sanitised'. That is done by humans and involves discretion.

In January, there are few species singing and/or calling. I've had dunnocks, great tits and of course robins. If APPs throw in a range of unrealistic species, those will be filtered out.
  • We have a reasonably large garden near the river Thames not far from Henley. The species heard but not seen were: chiff chaff, magpie, rook, nuthatch, jay and most unusually kingfisher. I've seen all of them in the garden fairly often, but not kingfishers. I see these regularly on the river (about 500 yds away), but never in our garden.
  • The problem is that you cannot record numbers going by hearing. If you wanted to count them then you would only be able to count 1 of each "heard only" species.
  • Just in case it hasn't been said you only count birds that actually land in your garden, not fly over.
  • Julian Stanford said:
    We have a reasonably large garden near the river Thames not far from Henley. The species heard but not seen were: chiff chaff, magpie, rook, nuthatch, jay and most unusually kingfisher. I've seen all of them in the garden fairly often, but not kingfishers. I see these regularly on the river (about 500 yds away), but never in our garden.

I've certainly been reassured, re App only suggesting realistic species. That is fair enough. However, as others have subsequently said, it still raises issues. My biggest issue is all of those are quite loud and all are easy to see once heard. If the App heard them but no one saw them, not sure how they could have been classed as being inside the boundaries of the garden.

As prev., there are other factors which are more important re BGBW. But, it is meant to be a snapshot of an hour. Everyone will have species AWOL during the count. Ironically, my main absentee species during that hour but not during the day were also magpie, jay and nuthatch! I therefore didn't record them.