Magpie population increase

I would really like some advice on how to deal with the sharp increase in the number of local magpies visiting my garden feeders.

Last winter I increased the number of bird feeders in my garden and I am aware that the surrounding properties also have bird feeders. I was pleased to see how many extra garden birds came as a result and they were quite often waiting for me to replenish the mealworms each morning.

There were magpies present but in moderation. This summer the magpies nested in nearby trees including one large tree about 200 yards away from which they can obviously see me cleaning and replenishing the feeder and water dish. They are frightening the smaller garden birds away and there are so many young magpies now that I don't know what to do. I am now down to one feeder in a position that makes it difficult for larger birds in the hope that I might see the smaller ones feeding more again. 

I don't know what to do next. Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you in advance,

Margaret 

• Hi Margaret...I am no expert and can only offer my opinion through my bird feeding experience.
    We can often get carried away feeding birds as they bring us such joy throughout the year. I feed all year round when conditions allow me to....I had a problem with pigeons and magpies...pigeons waiting below the feeders and maggies on the feeders....to stop the maggies I made my feeders magpie proof...2 hanging baskets secured around the feeder with tiewraps....now maggies cant get in...woodpeckers still can aswell as all smaller birds...I attached trays to the bottom of the feeder to reduce spillage aswell as birds can be messy at times...Happy to say I only get the odd pigeon now.....
    I hope this helps a little ....I should say maggies do still come and show the small birds who's boss but they can't get to the food.

Good luck in finding a solution to your problem....hopefully others maybe able to offer some helpful advice.

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)

• Wire (hemispherical) hanging baskets have a multitude of alternate uses. I've used them as a 'dome' over catmint plants/plantings to prevent the local cats totally destroying the catmint. They also provide a level of 'support' to lax plants with a low growth profile.
  • Yeah perhaps I should have highlighted "Wire" hanging baskets are used lol

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)