Late Departure

Hi everyone. Every year we have a pair of swallows nest in our porch. They have two nests and produce a clutch in each nest each year. 

I am concerned that all the birds have flown except one. I’m assuming it’s one of the parents. I’m sure by now they have usually fledged and set off on their migration by now. It’s definitely unusual for there to be a single bird left. 

Am I being to concerned or should I look to do something for the one that remains, and if so, what?

Thanks in advance. 
Mike

• My concern was that there was one bird from a “family” that appeared to have all set off on their migration without this individual. I assumed it was the male parent as he always roosted on top of the cctv camera in the porch and when the rest of the family had gone, this one was still roosting on the camera.

Anyway, not seen him now for a couple of nights. Hopefully that means he’s gone south.
  • Autumn migration-

Swallows not unusual in October and I've seen House Martin into November here in Norfolk

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• MikeBurton said:
    My concern was that there was one bird from a “family” that appeared to have all set off on their migration without this individual. I assumed it was the male parent as he always roosted on top of the cctv camera in the porch and when the rest of the family had gone, this one was still roosting on the camera.

Anyway, not seen him now for a couple of nights. Hopefully that means he’s gone south.

That almost seems like the youngest of a brood, the last swallow chick which I mentioned in my initial response, able fend for itself but just building up the stamina to make that long journey south.

regards

John

• If he's lucky enough to be born in the north of England, why would he want to leave. If it's a bit chilly, knit him a jumper ... Wink