Should Ben Caldecott be RSPB Turstee?

Having read the recent article by George Monbiot (www.monbiot.com/.../) I am shocked that someone like Ben Caldecott, who so obviously is not for nature, should be a trustee.

We as members should have the power to demand he be removed. By liking this post you can indicate your agreement that he should be removed.

• It’s nearly impossible to put even a members motion at the RSPB’s AGM. If you’re an active member I thought you would have known that. The National Trust’s allows members motions. But even if a members motion gets voted and is successful. It is not mandotry for a motion that wins the support of members at the National Trust’s AGM it is not mandotry for the National Trust’s management to accept a motion that gets passed at the National Trust’s AGM It is nearly impossible to have any members motion at the RSPB’s AGM. Even with a proposer, someone who seconds a motion and also any signatures. As a member of the RSPB since around 1973, not one members motion has been discussed. The National Trust’s has motions put forward by members and voted on every year. But the management don’t have to accept a motion that is passed. You have to ask the chairman to have a motion discussed ant the RSPB’s AGM and I’ve never known any members motions if asked by a member to be discussed at any RSPB’s AGM. The RSPB’s constitution and royal charted can be seen on the RSPB’s website. Anyone who has been a member longer than myself might seen motions discussed at the RSPB’s AGM. But certain not since I became an RSPB member since 1973. But there are some members on this community forum who have been members longer than myself might have seen some motions at the RSPB’s AGM long before I became a member in 1973. But I’m more interested in going out birdwatching as I an today. Although in the area I live it looking like rain all day. But I’ll still be out birdwatching until after 6.00pm dayI’ve registered for the AGM to take part online in the autumn of this year.

Regards,

Ian.

• Quite simply - no, he should not be and I've emailed the RSPB to this effect.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Of course, he should be a trustee.

What's the point of a board where everyone agrees with everyone else and just rubber-stamps management decisions?

Well done to Ben Caldecott for rocking the boat!
  • As I asked in another thread! But now I will say! There are a number of gamekeepers who are members of the RSPB! And another question how many RSPB members live in rural areas compared to urban areas! I know and again it is easy to find out. It may surprise or shock how many of those rural area members support gamekeepers on the moors! Again it’s easy to find out. Even though they are not the majority. They have a big % of the total RSPB membership. No more reply about thar from me! You can find that out yourself. Abd at times the RSPB and other smaller wikdlife organisations have to use control of certain wildlife at times! And that does happen. I don’t support the shooting of grouse. But at the moment that is legal and lots of wildlife conservation organisations both big and small have at times had to control certain species!

Regards,

Ian.

• Unknown said:
    Well done to Ben Caldecott for rocking the boat!

Really?  Who's pulling his strings, then?  He belongs to at least one group where the purpose and funding are very, very opaque.

Unknown said:
    What's the point of a board where everyone agrees with everyone else and just rubber-stamps management decisions?

True, but how can a conservation charity have anyone on their board who is not pro-wildlife?

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Unknown said:
    As I asked in another thread! But now I will say! There are a number of gamekeepers who are members of the RSPB! And another question how many RSPB members live in rural areas compared to urban areas! I know and again it is easy to find out. It may surprise or shock how many of those rural area members support gamekeepers on the moors! Again it’s easy to find out. Even though they are not the majority. They have a big % of the total RSPB membership. No more reply about thar from me! You can find that out yourself. Abd at times the RSPB and other smaller wikdlife organisations have to use control of certain wildlife at times! And that does happen. I don’t support the shooting of grouse. But at the moment that is legal and lots of wildlife conservation organisations both big and small have at times had to control certain species!

Is it really easy to find out how many RSPB members live in rural areas compared to those that live in Urban areas?

I think that you may find that many Rural members are in favour of grouse shooting as it does bring income into certain areas but that does not mean that they approve of illegal behaviour by certain gamekeepers.

• Bobs_Retired said:

THOMO said:
    As I asked in another thread! But now I will say! There are a number of gamekeepers who are members of the RSPB! And another question how many RSPB members live in rural areas compared to urban areas! I know and again it is easy to find out. It may surprise or shock how many of those rural area members support gamekeepers on the moors! Again it’s easy to find out. Even though they are not the majority. They have a big % of the total RSPB membership. No more reply about thar from me! You can find that out yourself. Abd at times the RSPB and other smaller wikdlife organisations have to use control of certain wildlife at times! And that does happen. I don’t support the shooting of grouse. But at the moment that is legal and lots of wildlife conservation organisations both big and small have at times had to control certain species!

Is it really easy to find out how many RSPB members live in rural areas compared to those that live in Urban areas?

I think that you may find that many Rural members are in favour of grouse shooting as it does bring income into certain areas but that does not mean that they approve of illegal behaviour by certain gamekeepers.

I do know that! And I did not use the word illegal! As I’m sure you know that Bob! ThinkingThinking Thinking

Regards,

Ian.

• Unknown said:

Bobs_Retired said:

THOMO said:

I do know that! And I did not use the word illegal! As I’m sure you know that Bob!

Firstly you did not respond to the question about how easy you claim it is to tell where rSPB members come from- Rural or Urban. I'm rather interested in that as I would be a bit worried about being a member of an organisation which cannot keep my location a secret.  

Secondly, I agree that you did not use the word illegal. However you did suggest that rural people were in favour of gamekeepers - however I'm suggesting that they are more likely to be in favour of grouse shooting because of the economic factors rather than in favour of gamekeepers.  Although there are many people that oppose grouse shooting in totality I suspect that there are a large number of people who are really just opposed to unethical/ illegal behaviour by some gamekeepers.

• BryanC1484314919 said:

Having read the recent article by George Monbiot (www.monbiot.com/.../) I am shocked that someone like Ben Caldecott, who so obviously is not for nature, should be a trustee.

We as members should have the power to demand he be removed. By liking this post you can indicate your agreement that he should be removed.

I said nothing like thar at all Bob! I do agree with you there! I will say this as well! There are RSPB members who shoot game birds in general! But I will say this with capital letter in capital letters in case I’m amisinterpreted again. LEGALLY AND NOT ILLEGALLY! Bob I suggest you have a look at the RSPB’s constitution and royal charter! Also have you ever wondere why there are never any RSPB members motions at the RSPB’s AGM! And that has been the case since I became a member around 1973. In comparison with the National Trust’s AGM every single year since I became a member of the National Trust in 1973 the same year I became a member of the RSPB,  there have been members motions at the National Trust’s AGM. Some years there have been up to 5-6 members motions. The lowest number has been 1 motion! Also it is possible for National Trust members to call for an Extraordinary General Meeting of the National Trust. But that has only happened 2-3 times since I became member of the National Trust in the early 1970’s as the number of members signatures needed to call such a meeting is very high!. But even if a National Trust Member motion gets passed with a majority it is not mandatory for the National Trust’s management to accept the verdict of the National Trust’s members. Also the Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust is practically impossible to call a motion at there AGM. Some of the smaller county wildlife Trust’s AGM’s do give members more say in members motions at there AGM’s. But it varies on how the different county wildlife Trust’s are run in England!

Regards,

Ian.

• Unknown said:

I said nothing like thar at all Bob! I do agree with you there! I will say this as well! There are RSPB members who shoot game birds in general! But I will say this with capital letter in capital letters in case I’m amisinterpreted again. LEGALLY AND NOT ILLEGALLY! Bob I suggest you have a look at the RSPB’s constitution and royal charter! Also have you ever wondere why there are never any RSPB members motions at the RSPB’s AGM! And that has been the case since I became a member around 1973. In comparison with the National Trust’s AGM every single year since I became a member of the National Trust in 1973 the same year I became a member of the RSPB,  there have been members motions at the National Trust’s AGM. Some years there have been up to 5-6 members motions. The lowest number has been 1 motion! Also it is possible for National Trust members to call for an Extraordinary General Meeting of the National Trust. But that has only happened 2-3 times since I became member of the National Trust in the early 1970’s as the number of members signatures needed to call such a meeting is very high!. But even if a National Trust Member motion gets passed with a majority it is not mandatory for the National Trust’s management to accept the verdict of the National Trust’s members. Also the Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust is practically impossible to call a motion at there AGM. Some of the smaller county wildlife Trust’s AGM’s do give members more say in members motions at there AGM’s. But it varies on how the different county wildlife Trust’s are run in England!

********************************************************************************************************

Ian this is what you wrote 

"And another question how many RSPB members live in rural areas compared to urban areas! I know and again it is easy to find out. "

So how is it easy to find out?