Why do our parliamentarians so seldom speak up for birds?

A JOINT initiative by the RSPB and other conservation organisations seems to have fallen into disrepair.

Six years ago, parliamentarians were invited to put themselves forward to become 'species champions' - in effect, to act as guardian angels for certain creatures deemed to be under threat.

A total of just 17 (out of 650) MPs nominated birds, and, since then, the project seems to have floundered.

The list has shortened rather than lengthened, and MPs seldom speak up for birds - a notable exception being Matt Warman (Con, Boston and Skegness) who recently described his constituency, which includes the RSPB reserve at Frampton Marsh, as "one of the best in the UK both for breeding and migrating birds".

Wetlands enthusiast Mr Warman, who 'champions' the redshank (pictured), was particularly chuffed that, this summer, black-winged stilts are nesting at Frampton - the first record for Lincolnshire.

The rest of the Class of 2017 comprises:

* Jake Berry: Curlew
* James Cartlidge: Turtle dove
* Therese Coffey: Bittern
* Mark Garnier: Lesser spotted woodpecker
* Nick Herbert (now in the House of Lords): Lapwing
* Kevin Hollinrake: Puffin
* Kerry McCarthy: Swift
* Jess Phillips: Dunnock
* Rebecca Pow: Snipe
* Angela Smith (no longer an MP): Hen harrier
* Dame Caroline Spelman (no longer an MP): Willow tit
* Derek Thomas: Manx shearwater
* Kelly Tolhurst: Nightingale
* Anna Turley (no longer an MP): Little tern
* Gavin Williamson: Barn owl
* Sarah Wollaston (no longer an MP): Cirl bunting

The RSPB has its own dedicated parliamentary officer, so perhaps the time has come for the 'champions' scheme to be refreshed and revitalised.

Perhaps one MP on  this list - or the RSPB - might even establish an All Party Parliamentary Group for birds just as there is one for trees and many other subjects (including philately, women's football and professional wrestling).

• I had to laugh (a great deal) about that. And roll my eyes. Because it was primarily founded on inaccurate information. Yet it was believed in the HoC. Possibly because the members are 'honourable' and are assumed to have done some work in verifying the facts.

There's a lot of utter tosh bandied around by our elected representatives in the name of facts and accuracy. Sometimes the HoL doesn't seem that bad in comparison. Sometimes.
  • Clare Bailey said:

tuwit said:
    Guns vs. female reproductive rights.

Sounds a bit like US politics...

Er ....... I'm very much pro-choice.  And I'm all for firearms legislation there as it seems that almost anyone there can just buy guns.  I'll never forget seeing the footage of people queueing up at the gun shops when Covid hit the country.  What the hell?

This country is very much stricter.  Every five years I have to renew my certificate and each time someone from the police firearms licensing department comes over to interview me and to check my storage facility.  I also have to pay for a doctor's report to show there's no medical reason to stop me shooting.  I'd say we're already strict enough ........ though it sometimes seems that any idiot can buy a shotgun to blow our raptors out of the sky.  You don't want to know what I think of those people.  I don't think I could ever target a living thing.

First, apologies for the bold print, this software seems to struggle with separating the quoted text, so I'm not shouting, particularly with what is a very important topic. LOL

When my father inlaw passed away earlier this year, the firearms unit (his wife had contacted the police to advise of his passing) called to ensure all his shotguns and cartridges etc were suitably dealt with, which they were, particularly as one else in the family has a gun licence.

I would add, they were very helpful and supportive all through the process.

regards

John

• Why do our parliamentarians so seldom speak up for birds?

A very good question.

Simple, conservation costs money, and politicians want to make money, not spend it.

We live in a very money orientated world, and environmental issues are good for talking and awakening people.

Before I retired, environmental issues are big business, and many projects were based around perceived environmental concerns.

Forget what MP’s tell you, look at what the government does and how it does what it does. How many conservation projects, predominantly national concerns where the government are supposed to support, have had increased funding over the last decade or two.

Not many, a greater number have had government funding reduced, and considerably so, and I think our National Parks are a perfect example of how the environment is respecting, or not respecting.

From a conservation perspective, birds are not alone in being overlooked by the government.

Finally, my MP, is a staunch HS2 supporter, and I'll leave it there.

regards

John

• Unknown said:
    When my father inlaw passed away earlier this year, the firearms unit (his wife had contacted the police to advise of his passing) called to ensure all his shotguns and cartridges etc were suitably dealt with, which they were, particularly as one else in the family has a gun licence.

They'd have issued her a temporary certificate if it had been necessary.  My local firearms team is pretty good and I've always had a good relationship with them. 

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Unknown said:
    Forget what MP’s tell you, look at what the government does and how it does what it does.

It's for comments like this that I wish we could give more than one like on this forum.

Unknown said:
    From a conservation perspective, birds are not alone in being overlooked by the government.

No, they are not.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Clare Bailey said:

Cheshire Lad said:

They'd have issued her a temporary certificate if it had been necessary.  My local firearms team is pretty good and I've always had a good relationship with them. 

They did mention that, among many other things. I was probably being conservative on how helpful they were. I hadn't a clue, and collectively as a family wanted to do all the right things sorting out the estate.

regards

John

• Beware of greenwashing Cons.

The champion for the Manx Shearwater admits to destroying gulls nests, opposed the formation of the SSSI to give Dartford Warblers etc more protection in his constituency and doesn’t accept that Dartmoor is over grazed.

May I suggest approaching PPCs for interviews to assess genuine environmental concerns and knowledge and backing whoever is most informed and genuine , perhaps videoing the interviews for the public to see.
  • Jay Gee said:
    Beware of greenwashing Cons.

To be honest the way I feel about this government right now, I would say beware of almost all Cons.

Jay Gee said:
    The champion for the Manx Shearwater admits to destroying gulls nests, opposed the formation of the SSSI to give Dartford Warblers etc more protection in his constituency and doesn’t accept that Dartmoor is over grazed.

Sounds about right for the Cons.

• If I became PM, my first act would be to make politicians lying a criminal offense. Talking of offense, some of what people are expected to believe is now offensive.....clearly MPs think people are beyond thick....
  • p.s. Sorry, I should have said, some people are, so I don't want to cause offense to those that are, by suggesting otherwise.